Thread: O2 Removal - Right side before cat.

O2 Removal - Right side before cat.

Has anyone replaced this one before? I had the left hand side go out last year and it was cake. But this one is in a VERY tight spot. Any advice?

The picture doesn't do the tight spot justice. I can get to the sensor fine but not the plug up top.

Making some holiday drives and need my gas mileage in tip top shape....I am down about 25% right now. Maybe time for some acetone.

Just replaced mine a couple of days ago. I had an O2 socketwith the offset ear on it. All I could do with it was break the sensor loose. After that i had to use a 7/8" open end wrench that is around 10 - 11" long. Make sure it is good quality so you don't mess up the shoulders on sensor.
    You have a window to work the wrench rubbing the tranny pans, it will make sense when you get under there. With the right length you can get 50 degrees of turn, as opposed to the 1 of 2 degrees, using the socket.

MAJOR HELPFUL HINT .... As you loosen the sensor, say, a quarter turn, crank it back in, then loosen it back out a little, then back in, all the way out. This cleans the threads out as you remove the sensor, instead of working a threAd chaser in there.
    Put some anti sease on the sensor threads, and put it back.

Plugging the sensor back in was tough for my big hands. So I used an adjustable wrench opened to the with of the sensor, about 1/4". Then I had a battery holddown threaded rod, much like ours in the vx. It has treads on one end, and a hook on the other.
    So I stuck the hook on the backside of the plug that is mounted to the tranny(be very careful of wires, pull on the plug " ears") and then stick the plug from the sensor into the adjustable. Pull down on the hook, and push the sensor plug up!
    It worked for me.....there isn't much space up there. Some really long (10") needle nose pliers would maybe be nice, but the adjustable worked pretty well.
    Good luck! Haven't filled up, but that last quarter tank seems to be going alot further since I've done this work lately, including both upper 02's

To unplug, I used along screwdriver. You can see the "locking" mechanism and there is a slot there. Put the blade of the screwdriver in that slot, twist it a little and push up on the screwdriver, while pulling down on the sensor wire. I would only pull on the wire if you are defiantly replacing the sensor. Otherwise you should pull on the plug while screwdriver is in the slot, so you don't risk damaging the wires going into the plug.

Ok I have not gotten back out there yet due to being busy today running around. But would having a lift make the access points smaller by some chance? The torsion bar is right there and I am wondering if my angles are to a point compared to yours that allow me a smaller space to work with? I am almost confident I could not do what you just mentioned.

I don't think it would matter, but I don't know.
    Yes it is extremely tight, and you are working between that torsion bar, and the tranny pans. It's only a couple of inches. You will be using the open end of the wrench. Too bad we don't come to Salem anymore for Christmas, or I would come give you a hand. Or if you are heading this wAy let me know and we can work on it. I think you will figure it out once you get the open end on he sensor.