Thread: How much rear wheel travel do we have?

How much rear wheel travel do we have?

I am trying to get the actual spec for how much rear wheel travel we have? Can't find it anywhere. I would guess by pics somewhere around 14-18"? Maybe I am figuring it wrong as well, I was looking from full compression to full extension.

I found that in the front we only have a max of 10" with ball joint flips, bump stop removal and shave and so on. The rear must be a helluva lot more than that.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Around 18" I would guess. This website:
    http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...iculation.html
    claims 18.5" rear axle travel for a 2nd gen Trooper with OME shocks, which are a little longer than stock shocks.

With the N85 rear shocks, which are over 3" longer than the stock size, you can do even more:

Of course then you run into other issues, such as your coil springs falling out...
    Last edited by BigSwede : 12/28/2010 at 07:09 AM
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    Around 18" I would guess. This website:
    http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...iculation.html
    claims 18.5" rear axle travel for a 2nd gen Trooper with OME shocks, which are a little longer than stock shocks.

With the N85 rear shocks, which are over 3" longer than the stock size, you can do even more:

Of course then you run into other issues, such as your coil springs falling out...
    Good info. I was also sitting at the 18" mark. I am trying to find the lengths on the RS9000s. That would give me a good comparison, and I can get a good guess at wheel travel.

Just measure it yourself. Google 'how to measure rear wheel travel'.
    There's a ton of stuff to read-

"Theres lots of ways to do it, I think that this is most accurate. have your truck on jack stands, take your wheel and shock off, measure the distance to the ground from the center of the hub at full droop, lets say its 3 inches, than measure the center of the hub to the ground at full bump lets say its 18 inches, that means you have 15 inches of wheel travel."

Mark

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

How bout this...

Jack up one rear tire by either frame or rock slider, until it clears the ground. (that'd be full droop)

Then measure the distance between the bump stop & the bump pad on top of the axle...

Maybe add 1/2" - 1" for bump stop compression, & you should be pretty close...

Of course then you run into other issues, such as your coil springs falling out...[/QUOTE]

I got my Ol' Man Emu's coil springs in without even pulling a rear tire, I sometimes wonder if they'd ever pop out....I doubt it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

Did you unhook the shock for the install? On the Trooper/VX setup the shocks are the limiting factor for axle droop, so it just depends how long your shocks are. Standard shock length, or even the slightly longer OME Nitrocharger Trooper shock length should be fine.

The OME Trooper shocks are 20.35" long, the shocks I am running are 23.1", or 2.75" longer than the OME Trooper shocks.