Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: VXAddict's Addiction Therapy Log

As promised, some pics of the new stereo install:

The Alpine CDA-9886 head unit

Here's the seriously useful USB power adapter for your cigarette lighter:

Here's the IPOD link to the Alpine Headunit

I didn't take pictures of the speakers yet. They haven't installed the 4" Polk Coaxials yet, so I will take a snapshot of those. I do have the original 6.5" woofer that was completely ripped from the rubber/foam surround. Apparently one of the previous owners loved to listen to their music LOUD...

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Very nice...I have the 9835.

The ipod adapter in mine is finished off in the center console with a cradle in there to hold it tight.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Very nice...I have the 9835.

The ipod adapter in mine is finished off in the center console with a cradle in there to hold it tight.
    I'd love to see a picture of the cradle. My installer said there wasn't that much slack in the cable, but he said he might be able to pull out about another 3-4 inches. I was just thinking of putting in some velcro tape and call it a day.

The arms on the sides expand and contract to hold the iPod in place...I really like it.

Awesome - so you have that mounted inside the armrest? I've got a similar cradle that attaches to the heating vents for my phone. I wonder if I can just mount it inside there.

Do you have a problem w/ your Ipod adapter staying powered on after the car and radio are turned offer? I'm concerned that if I keep the ipod plugged in after i turn off the car, that eventually it drains the battery...

Quote Originally Posted by vxaddict View Post
    Awesome - so you have that mounted inside the armrest? I've got a similar cradle that attaches to the heating vents for my phone. I wonder if I can just mount it inside there.

Do you have a problem w/ your Ipod adapter staying powered on after the car and radio are turned offer? I'm concerned that if I keep the ipod plugged in after i turn off the car, that eventually it drains the battery...
    Yes, if I don't shut it off it will stay on and drain the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Yes, if I don't shut it off it will stay on and drain the battery.
    Yup - it's annoying, but I just keep the old Ipod plugged in. I know it's bad for the rechargeable battery to keep draining it like that, but it's easier than constantly unplugging it in and out when I get in the truck.

As long as the VX battery doesn't die out - its all good...

Just got this in the mail today

The poor UPS delivery guy had to drive through Snowpocalypse 2011 Chicago today to bring me this... I hope it's worth it!

I hope to get it installed at my local shop when all this white stuff stops falling.

I stopped by Autozone today and picked up a few things to add to the VX:

1. LED Dome Light - I followed MSHardeman's suggestion and picked up one of the superwhite 12 LED wafers for $14.99.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ght=dome+light

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=205000_0_0_

The install was just as easy as mentioned. Pop off the dome light w/ a flathead and use the smallest bulb-attachment in the kit. Pop back in and it's good to go.

2. Replacement rubber antenna rubber mast - $5.99

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=545537_0_0_

My original was starting to crack at the end, and I didn't like the really long antenna. I saw JDM Monkey's shorter version and found this one for cheap. It's about 2-3 inches shorter. The universal adapter for the 6mm screw fits, but there's a bit of a gap. I'll take pictures tomorrow. Reception seems better than OEM, but that could be the placebo effect.

3. Hopkins SEJ Euro Junior Cupholder.

This I didn't buy at Autozone, but at a Napa Auto Parts store. Here's a link to what it looks like:

http://www.race-mart.com/Hopkins-HOP-SEJ.html

I mounted it on the center console square piece. It's the perfect width and is adjustable to hold regular cans and larger drive-thru cups. I used the velcro strips instead of drilling a hole into the console. The velcro mount allows some side-to-side play which was scary at first since I thought my drinks would fly off. Nothing has happened so far. I didn't want a permanent mount since the adjuster is so fragile, I figured I'd be replacing the whole thing at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by vxaddict View Post
    3. Hopkins SEJ Euro Junior Cupholder.

This I didn't buy at Autozone, but at a Napa Auto Parts store. Here's a link to what it looks like:

http://www.race-mart.com/Hopkins-HOP-SEJ.html

I mounted it on the center console square piece. It's the perfect width and is adjustable to hold regular cans and larger drive-thru cups. I used the velcro strips instead of drilling a hole into the console. The velcro mount allows some side-to-side play which was scary at first since I thought my drinks would fly off. Nothing has happened so far. I didn't want a permanent mount since the adjuster is so fragile, I figured I'd be replacing the whole thing at least once.
    A few of us have the Euro Jr. Mine is mounted with double-sided tape only, after trimming the bottom and right edge to get a snug fit in the square hole. Trimming also allowed me to shift it over a bit to get it away from the hand brake. It's been there for 8~9 years, so I know it's not going anywhere!

Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Pics!

As promised:

Euro Jr. Cupholder mounted in center console:

LED Dome light from Autozone:

Replacement rubber antenna from Autozone:

New mod: Stick 'n' Click Rear Cargo LED light

I forgot that I picked up some of these at Bed Bath & Beyond awhile back. It's not the brightest light, but definitely helps when you're putting things in the back at night. It's powered by 3 AAA batteries, but since it's a single LED, it will last awhile. It's just double taped to the headliner. Very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Yo guy I bought my VX end of 99 brand spankin new still have it , has 196,458 miles I'll die with mine!!
    Thats how I feel about my H3, eventually I'll pick up my VX also.
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

Here's a thread with some additional cargo lights options that several have done:
    I put in the Sylvania 3 LED unit.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...ar+cargo+light
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Thanks Kat - I was going to go to Walmart to see if I could find the same one Ldub used. The stick 'n' click single LED just didn't put out as much light as I was hoping for.