Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I DID IT! Line X on my cladding...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Man, that beige looks nice.

Here's a pic of my Trooper. You can see what I am thinking.

My concerns with doing this are as follows:

1) Cost, I would want to do the interior and exterior. My Trooper is stripped on the inside already, and the only thing needed to do a perfect job would be to pull the glass. Does Line-X pull glass or would I have to do that on my own and then have the vehicle delivered to a Line-X shop?
    LINE-X dealers set their own prices, so prices will vary, you should check with your local dealer. Go to golinex.com and use the dealer search function if you wish. You don't need to pull any glass, it will be masked off.

2) My Trooper is currently spray painted on the inside and out, what kind of prep work (time, extra cost, etc) would be involved for Line-X to do a thorough job?
    Nothing out of the ordinary. Its surface will be scuffed and then cleaned prior to the LINE-X application.

3)Is the beige very flat or is it shiney? I would would like to maintain that low sheen look, like a matte finish.
    LINE-X Xtra is glossy, but a gloss reducer can be added to it. However, it will never go to plain "flat".
    I think my Trooper would look great if I had this done. I would even consider having the roof rack, bumpers and grill done as well as some gas cans to match.

4) Another question, how does Line-X work around door hinges and such? Do you guys take all that apart (remove doors and hinges) and spray each piece? A little more infor there would be excellent.
    If the hinges will function with the bedliner material, then we spray them. If they won't function, we just apply the Xtra without the bedliner material.

What do you think something like this would cost on average?
    I would say a within a range of $2,500 to $3,000 for the interior and exterior.
    The owner of this truck rolled the truck. He had it repaired but instead of painting it, we LINE-X'd it.

Line-X, thank you for all this info - very helpful!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Yes, thank you. This is awesome info. I might just do this with my Trooper in the spring. I know I want to do the black parts, I'm just not 100% sure I want to do the tan parts yet. I might still opt for regular paint, however the Line-X option is very appealing since this is my trail rig and I'm sure i will drive through an overgrown trail in the future.

Thanks again,

Bart

I was at LKQ this morning, a helped a guy getting some misc Zu parts. He owns a body shop. He said they have done some jeeps with the Raptor spray kits and it came out great. The kit is on sale at a local auto paint shop here with the gun for 119. Under 500 bucks and he would do all the prep. (not including the cladding, I will do that myself) I see a possible birthday present for the VX. He said yellow is hard to do as well. But the raptor kit is completely tintable. I may try this for the cladding in black, and possibly hit up the whole truck in that army green I have been wanting
    Thanks for the lead on raptor LineX!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCNc5OnOR1c

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/U-Pol...#ht_3409wt_668

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Be careful when using solvent based products on plastics including polypropylene. Some solvents will melt plastics. Raptor does contain a lot of solvents (ACETONE, XYLENE, N-BUTYL ACETATE, 2-METHOXY-1-METHYLETHYL ACETATE), so you might test a spot first. Better safe than sorry!
    Last edited by LINE-X : 01/06/2011 at 09:07 AM

I've still got the spare nose piece cladding. Lemme know if it's needed for any practice. It's been trimmed for tire clearance though so prolly not useful for anything other than practice.

LINE-X,

What's the process for masking off an area that you don't want covered? What I'm thinking about is masking off lettering in the center of an area that is going to be covered in LineX to let the original material provide just enough contrast to make it still visible. I'm not talking about real fine detail here, just a 4X4 or VX as far as the lettering goes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

are the fangs really made of titanium as ive heard they are...if so thats to unique to consiider covering IMO

What VX? Rodeo Crew Cab, Jackaroo chassis, Supercharged 3.5, Navara tub (!!)
    No need to find a line thru the rocks any more - looks like you could just grind out a new path
    The answer is more power! What was the question?

Looks like you and Marlin might match...

Line-X, two questions:

1) How much to do the exact same thing if I take off my own cladding? I'd want the side-view mirrors and hood insert Line-Xed w/the same material as the cladding, though.

2) Do you use some type of adhesive agent on the cladding prior to spraying w/the Line-X?
    Last edited by eternal21 : 01/15/2011 at 09:16 AM

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    I'd want the windows and hood insert Line-Xed w/the same material as the cladding, though.
    WINDOWS???

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    WINDOWS???
    side-view mirrors, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    Line-X, two questions:

1) How much to do the exact same thing if I take off my own cladding? I'd want the side-view mirrors and hood insert Line-Xed w/the same material as the cladding, though.

2) Do you use some type of adhesive agent on the cladding prior to spraying w/the Line-X?
    Cladding and hood insert $550 with LINE-X and LINE-X Xtra. Can't apply LINE-X to the side mirrors, but we can apply only Xtra.

We tried various primers, what worked the best was no primer, but we felt that the LINE-X must encapsulate the cladding.

Quote Originally Posted by LINE-X View Post
    Cladding and hood insert $550 with LINE-X and LINE-X Xtra. Can't apply LINE-X to the side mirrors, but we can apply only Xtra.

We tried various primers, what worked the best was no primer, but we felt that the LINE-X must encapsulate the cladding.
    In the research I've done, everything says that since the cladding isn't metal, yes, the part has to be encapsulated. $550 is inclusive of tax, correct? I'm not fond of the X-tra, I'd like the regular Line-X on the hood, too. If I separate the mirrors and you can encapsulate them, would you guys take that on, too?

$550 is not inclusive of sales tax (only if you live in Texas).

Standard LINE-X will fade over time, you might not be happy about that in the future. If you don't like glossy Xtra, there is an additive that cuts the gloss. The side mirrors have a hinge, the LINE-X may interfere.