Thread: Check engine light, no code thrown

Check engine light, no code thrown

I had a near miss today. I gassed up, heading over to LKQ for the holiday half off pick n pull. The check engine light came on!! I had just topped off the oil. I ran the scan gage to check for codes. None!? How is that possible. I drove for about 5 miles and noticed the scangage would shut off and come back on. Turns out, when I did the foam flooring and seat swap yesterday (pics hopefully tomorrow), I bumped the OBDII plug. Turns out, if you get a loose scangage cannection, you can get a check engine light!! I plugged it in firmly, cleared the light (no code indicated, very weird) and away I went.

On a side note, at LKQ, I did score a few sweet items. Only 5 or 6 Zus in the whole place, but the first was a limited Trooper. Had a foglight switch!! Got that and both the dome lights. Also found two pairs of Aisin hubs!!!!!! No wiggle, great shape. Down side, I could only get the guts out of em, I tried everything to get the big allens out, but no go. Stripped one bolt on all of em At least I got the guts. I also got the CV joint clips out of a few of em, I tore one mine up, that is some hard *** steel. The dome lights might already be sold, waiting to hear back from potential buyer. I will post it up in my for sale thread if any interested.

It is the front domelight with harness, and the rear matching domelight with harness, designed to be in parallel with the front light.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I had a near miss today. I gassed up, heading over to LKQ for the holiday half off pick n pull. The check engine light came on!! I had just topped off the oil. I ran the scan gage to check for codes. None!? How is that possible. I drove for about 5 miles and noticed the scangage would shut off and come back on. Turns out, when I did the foam flooring and seat swap yesterday (pics hopefully tomorrow), I bumped the OBDII plug. Turns out, if you get a loose scangage cannection, you can get a check engine light!! I plugged it in firmly, cleared the light (no code indicated, very weird) and away I went.
    It's probably just pissed you aren't going to Moab...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    It's probably just pissed you aren't going to Moab...
    Could be

But 6000 mile round trip, plus I think I used 3 tanks of fuel in the VX at Moab 2 years ago. 10mpg, 3.50 a gallon, its around 2500 in fuel. Throw in an oil change on the F250, thats another 100 bucks if I do it myself. I need 4 nights in a hotel for the drive there and back, and a week at the campground. Thats another 600 bucks. I am already over $3K and haven't even figured in booze, food, misc expenses. A Moab trip would cost well over $4K for me and the wife. Probably closer to $5000 for all the unforeseeable costs and wear and tear on the F250. Moab is cool, but I don't think any of you would be willing to throw down that kind of cheddar to go. For those that live <800 miles a way, its not so bad, one long day drive, less than 1500 for the whole trip. The VX will get over it, she might get some new makeup this summer

It ain't no 6000 mile round trip, it's closer to 4000. There, I just saved you 1/3 of your fuel cost...

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    It ain't no 6000 mile round trip, it's closer to 4000. There, I just saved you 1/3 of your fuel cost...
    Nope, we have to drive through Ohio and drop off kids and then to KC, MO area for in-laws. The 6000 miles includes the running around with the family. I want to go, but it isn't practical at our current location. I will wait until I get stationed on the west coast.

Marlin,

A cupla times the scan guage 'turned off' my speedo on the Eclipse. Never figured that one out!!!

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.