Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spare Tire In Roof Rack

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I am confused by what has happened? What is wrong with a 5 dollar ratchet strap? They are rated to 500-1000lbs static for a 1" strap pending the brand you get. Mine has been on the roof off and on for 2 years, same strap. No degrading of the nylon, no rusting, no problems. The dynamic fail point is much higher.

http://www.ratchetstraps.com/1-x-10-...t-strap-s-hook
    What's wrong with it?...Nothing at all.
    I got a 2" wide polyester strap, 7000 lb break limit, custom 5' length for my application, in polyester that won't stretch when wet, has UV protection, and rot and mildew resistance, a heavy duty ratchet mechanism, a buckle pad attached so it can't scratch anything, and a great custom pattern for $14 for two (2) of them. I don't mind it being visible and I still prefer to have two systems securing it. It's redundant but I have the stress points dispersed over several areas, possibly making it a bit more secure. I can't help it, it's my Risk Management background I guess.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Gotcha, I just saw a post about some 70 dollar kit, and some fangled spare bracket concept and thought about the K.I.S.S. concept. 5-15 bucks and you are perfectly safe. The funny part is the only thing holding all that stuff on your roof is 4 tiny screws...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Gotcha, I just saw a post about some 70 dollar kit, and some fangled spare bracket concept and thought about the K.I.S.S. concept. 5-15 bucks and you are perfectly safe. The funny part is the only thing holding all that stuff on your roof is 4 tiny screws...
    Well I've got the $70 bracket as well as the straps...and yes, the fact has not been lost on me that it's hanging on by 4 screws on a plastic roof rail....

...The funny part is the only thing holding all that stuff on your roof is 4 tiny screws...
    Thought that many times myself... got to believe those screws would sheer off well before either of these mounting methods gives.

Hey Kat

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Yeah, I think the Coleman had a "grid" pattern of metal bars on the floor, instead of just slats.
    And yes, that does sound funny!
    Dave, we'll be passing thru your town on 1/14 and 1/16...could check it out then. Or maybe a local off-road shop would have one in person.
    Please stop while in town. As for a local off road shop you apparently haver never been to Bullhead City. As for straps and bungees I am not ruling anything out I just wanted to see who has done what and if there were any recomendations or warnings. (such as the sun degrading material) as BHC gets a lot of sun
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt