Thread: Spare Tire In Roof Rack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Not sure if you bought Sue's Thule 695 from her, but if you did you might try this:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...a+spare&page=8

You can get the Yakima spare kit for $70-ish on the web, required fasteners for about $10 from Lowe's/Home Depot, and bit set (if you don't already have it) for no more than $20. It's more expensive than a bungee set but also a lot more heavy duty. I probably won't ever need the strength for offroading, but I'm pretty sure that if I roll my VX someday I won't be firing a 70 lb. projectile down the highway.

No, I got a Coleman rack included with one of my roof racks. Sold it to Circmand. I can't quite recall the spacing on the floor of the basket, but I think the Yakima spare tire holder could be made to fit, like Mav did.

I sure prefer having a couple chunks of steel holding my 78 lb wheel/tire combo rather than even a ratchet strap. When I was having some custom ratchet straps made (you know the one with purple paw prints on them...isn't that what everybody gets? )...the manufacturer had about 4 or 5 different products, made of a few different materials, some would actually stretch a few percentage points when wet, some would degrade faster in sun, some colors would run in rain, etc.. They were really inexpensive, even custom made.
    http://www.strapworks.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y
    Here's the 6 different types explained:
    http://www.strapworks.com/webbing_an...brics_s/20.htm

So just saying "ratchet strap" generically, may not be enough. I'd certainly want to know that I had the strongest ones holding down my tire/wheel.
    I have the Yakima spare tire unit AND also a 2" wide polyester ratchet strap holding mine down. Can never be too safe. Bad enough that I've changed the center of gravity a bit by putting that weight up there, so I dayam sure want it to stay up there!

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Thanks guys

I even checked autozone. Nothing seems premade. They have tons of plastic crap and chrome tape to PIMP your ride and nothingthat is functional or useful. I think I may check out a few yards and see if imagination strikes.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Don't know what rack or basket you have for your roof, but I have the Yakima Load Warrior and I use Yakima's spare tire carrier ( http://www.realcyclist.com/yakima-sp...8-001b2166becc ) to secure the tire to the basket. Once that thing is sinched down that tire isn't going anywhere, plus it has a place for a lock to keep it from wandering off.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I have the Yakima Load Warrior and I use Yakima's spare tire carrier ( http://www.realcyclist.com/yakima-sp...8-001b2166becc ) to secure the tire to the basket. Once that thing is sinched down that tire isn't going anywhere, plus it has a place for a lock to keep it from wandering off.
    Yep, Mark that's the one I have as well as Vt_Mav, can't see it though in my pics. I have the ratchet strap woven through the rim as a 2ndary /backup system.

And for those so inclined....strapworks.com has designs with skulls, bullets, about 5 different camos, and many more. They make them by the foot, so I didn't have a bunch of excess strap to deal with.