Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you need to "moab" a VX?

Do you need to "moab" a VX?

Most of the time, before I had a VX, I looked at the pix of all the moab meets you guys have had and dreamed of going one day. Now that I have a VX I no longer need to dream. But what do I need besides it for Moab? Vehicle related that is: knobby tires covered in sticky glue, steel bars duct taped to the bottom to rub against rocks, chrome deuce deuce spinners?

jk, seriously though, I'd love to go this year, but I won't have money to modify it for moab. I may have some spare cash for tires, but I even there I can't get giant 33" mud running tires, I still need to commute with it.

2 weeks after I bought my VX I went to Moab, on smaller than stock tires, and stock height. Only did a couple trails (Dome Plateau, and Klondike Bluffs) Many stock vxs have done much more difficult trails.

You'll be just fine

Yep, like TR said many have come and done just fine in stock VXs. Scott (Moncha) is a great example. Just pick your trails wisely and follow someone equally equiped so you can see what lines work. Don't follow me and you will be fine (yep, I'm the guy that usually goes the way they say not to!). Hope you make it...you definately won't regret it.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

The first two years I went to Moab I was completely stock and did just fine. Like others have said, just pick an easier trail and take it easy. Heck, even on some of the more difficult trails there are usually by-passes to the really hard stuff. I've seen a couple of VX's out there on nearly bald tire and they did just fine.

We usually get a little convoy together on the Sunday (or is it the Monday) before the meet starts. As people come across the country from the East they pick up other VX's and by the time they get here to Colorado there are usually quite a few VX's cruising down the interstate behind each other. VERY cool sight.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I've seen a couple of VX's out there on nearly bald tire and they did just fine.
    Paging PBKid!

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I've seen a couple of VX's out there on nearly bald tire and they did just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Paging PBKid!
    And Travis! (tjh) It was an amazing sight!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

There's a "Moab checklist" somewhere I've seen on the site...check around for it, gives you tons of info.

And yes, you can go stock, as all the others have said, and have a great time, AND not destroy your VX. I went stock 1st yr, then just added slightly larger tires, no lift, for the 2nd year, did great. You can skip the harder boulder strewn trails (I do) and still have a fantastic time on many other trails.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Kenny posted the best Moab list I've ever seen.

Yay, this sounds great, now I just need to convince the wife. Maybe if she knows she can knit during all of this.

The Kenny list isn't there any more, the thread is, but the list removed...

damn, I didn't know this was during the week, assumed it was a 4 day weekend. I take it all back, no moab for me, I have to save my vacation time this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mindaugas View Post
    Yay, this sounds great, now I just need to convince the wife. Maybe if she knows she can knit during all of this.
    Show her the pix taken at Moab last year. My wife wants to go now that she's seen how nice the scenery is.

damn, I didn't know this was during the week, assumed it was a 4 day weekend. I take it all back, no moab for me, I have to save my vacation time this year.
    You should be able to just go for the long weekend - don't need to stay for the whole thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

... I have to save my vacation time this year.
    I hear you, I'm saving leave/vacation now to (hopefully) go in 2012. Problem is there's not much left after we go to Wisconsin twice a year, but hopefully if we slice a few days off the trip and I work some on those trips I'll have enough by then.

Yikes ! I had, way toooo much fun . I went with a OME lift, but I was on stock tires ( which looked silly ) that were a wee bit worn "highway treads " . Oh my did I ever enjoy myself ? Yes and yes . I was very surprised at what the VX can umm, smash/crawl/speed through/over, stuff like that. Then there is all this beautiful landscape ... it's toooooooo much I need some mo MOAB !

I Want To Go!!!!!....but can't. :[