Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix area VX meet - Sunday 2/6/11

Phoenix area VX meet - Sunday 2/6/11

PHOENIX AREA MEET-N-GREET
    Since we've developed a pretty good number of Phoenix/Tucson area VXers ....how about we plan a PHX meet-n-greet?.....like in the next 3 months before it gets too hot.
    We could even plan another meet, in Summer, further up in the mountains where it's cooler and get away from the blast furnace....

DATE:
    SUNDAY 2/6
    ROCK SPRINGS CAFE: MEET AT 11AM SUNDAY 2/6
    35769 South Old Black Canyon Highway (EXIT 242 - A little South of Black Canyon City)
    Rock Springs, Arizona 85324
    http://www.rockspringscafe.com/index.html
    They take reservations too, so we won't have to wait.

Then, IF some still want to do a very short easy trail... we could go about 2 miles East on Table Mesa Rd., excellent scenery for some great VX pics. If Billy and Zu4Two come, we could watch them make their way over the rocks at the New River crossing. There's place we could hang out in lawn chairs if we wanted to hang for a while.

***** WE'LL BE BRINGING OUR 2 FRIENDLY DOGS *****

sounds do-able...the mrs has an aunt and cousin in Mesa, kill two birds.....we had lunch on the water at some lakeside restaurant, in the superstitions, there... it was real nice..and it has a Bar... waitin on the name of the lake, from the prima......woops...got a bit of a stutter goin on

Only bad thing about lake pleasant is there is very little shade. Most of the planted trees have not matured yet...but there is a back "road" from there to Crown King which was one of our first Az get togethers.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Only bad thing about lake pleasant is there is very little shade. Most of the planted trees have not matured yet...but there is a back "road" from there to Crown King which was one of our first Az get togethers.
    If we go in winter, sun shouldn't be an issue, would it?
    We thought the trail from Lake Pleasant to Crown King would be too rough for some, and a lot of the trail has eroded quite a bit with the rain. So I thought since there's several new VX owners, have a meet-n-greet first, talk about what to do next time, maybe what trail etc...
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I recently ran the backroad to Crown King. It was much harder than it has been in the past. I wouldn't recommend it, unless someone has a winch. Maybe I can invite a Jeep buddy or 2.

I'm more partial to a Sunday, as opposed to a Saturday. The restaurant referred to is probably at one of the lakes up Apache trail, Saguaro, Apache or Canyon lake. I'd probably be up for something in February.

I am out for the weekend of feb 19th. But anything other than that should be fine as of right now. As far as locations in the phx area, I will have to trust some one from there since I really only know about the area my sister lives in.

There is a restaraunt at apache lake but its quite the drive for a day meet, darn I guess my wife and I would have to make a weekend out of it. We go there a lot in the summer anyway.

Why don't we aim for Sat 2/5 or Sun 2/6?
    That gives us some time to maybe get in a 2nd meet before the heat really kicks in.

Anybody been to the Cave Buttes Rec Area? I'm trying to get more info on it. Saw some pics, looks typically gorgeous SouthWest.

Other ideas for location or should we go for Lake Pleasant and then hit a restaurant??

Thoughts?......

Thumbs up Sounds Good!

I am in for 2/6 or 2/20. Running RAGNAR relay race 2/25 - 2/26 so I will be a maybe on 2/27 depending on how I feel. Anywhere is good with me.

hip replacement on feb 1st...bowing out...darn

Unless it in the evening the 20th is out for me...racing. However like I said if its in the evening its all good...race is in Fountain hills in the morning. I will be sure to drag VCamilo along also even though his VX is temperarily in Florida.

I could probably make the 6th of February. Where do people stand on the "off road" intensity? I'll basically follow anyone anywhere, and I seem to remember Billy was of a similar mindset . What does the rest of the group think?

Talking

So is it on for Sun 2-6? I'm lookin forward to it. Anywhere is good with me. The VX is my first 4x4 so not really familiar with any specific trails. My brothers and I did the lake plesant to crown king road back in the 80's and we walked most of the way stakin rocks and diggin to try to get more than two tires to touch at the same time. I dont think the vx or my wife is up for that yet.

Looks like we've zeroed in on SUNDAY 2/6/11.

What about one of these ideas......????
    All dirt or gravel roads, no need for high clearance, no winches, and no narrow trails with brush, both easily done in just a few hours. Stock VX would be just fine. Puts everybody closer to home at end of trail.

TRAIL IDEA 1)
    ~Meet up at Sunset Point rest area on I-17 around 1000am
    ~Go North on I-17 about 5 miles to Bloody Basin Rd.
    ~Take Bloody Basin Rd East/SouthEast which becomes FR 269,
    ~then South on Rd/FR 24 which then becomes Cave Creek Road
    ~Takes us right into Cave Creek, where we could grab a bite, many restaurants in Cave Creek.
    TOTAL TRAIL MILES - ABOUT 60

TRAIL IDEA 2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zu4two View Post
    I recently ran the backroad to Crown King. It was much harder than it has been in the past. I wouldn't recommend it, unless someone has a winch. Maybe I can invite a Jeep buddy or 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhill View Post
    My brothers and I did the lake plesant to crown king road back in the 80's and we walked most of the way stakin rocks and diggin to try to get more than two tires to touch at the same time. I dont think the vx or my wife is up for that yet.
    I "think" you're both talking about the road/trail/rock path between Crown King and Lake Pleasant...yeah, way too hard/rough for us.

I was talking about the trail between Crown King - Cleator - Bumble Bee - then to I-17. It's all dirt or gravel, country roads, maintained. They're the routes into these towns so they're good enough for deliveries and regular travel/traffic.

If we do this route, it's not a loop, so we go in one way, turn around, return the same way. It's about 23 miles each way (46 total). There's a small restaurant/burger/bar type place in Crown King we could eat at.
    ~Meet at exit 248 on I-17 about 1030am
    ~Bumble Bee - Cleator - Crown King
    ~Crown King Rd North East to Cleator
    ~Cleator take Hwy 59 South East to Bumble Bee
    ~Bumble Bee South East to Hwy 17
    ~Sunset Point Rest Area is just a mile or so North on Hwy 17 for bathrooms
    TOTAL TRAIL MILES - ABOUT 46
    Last edited by VX KAT : 01/26/2011 at 06:09 PM

Table Mesa has some real "interesting" trails also!
    Last edited by Triathlete : 01/17/2011 at 12:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Table Mesa has some real "interesting" trails also!
    OK, we'll see ya later Billy!....if yer still in one piece!