Thread: popping while turning.... ball joints?

Question popping while turning.... ball joints?

So I am getting a popping while turning right on the left side, sometime I get it while turning left but way worse turning right.

I just last year replaced the center link and both lower ball joints and that all still looks new under there, and the upper ball joints look fine still, but the left outside tie rod end of the tie rod that connects the center steering link to the wheel looks pretty bad. Do you think this is it? I hope so.

So where is the best/cheapest place to get a new tie rod or ball joint, etc? Anyone purchased one before? Experiences?

Check here...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ighlight=mount

I had a similar issue and it was just a missing transmission mount bolt.

My ebay rod ends are still in the box as trail spares. I have used one upper and one lower...both are holding up so far. They don't have many miles on them though.
    Is the popping you are getting while turning and moving or sitting still? If moving are you sure its not your CVs...again?
    Also while your in there check the upper and lower control arm bushings. All my issues were the upper arm bushings.

Those are the ebay BJs I got. They are O.E. branded.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I would think you would only hear ball joints if the mounting bolts were loose or maybe if the rubber boots were torn and they'd been wearing that way, but they really aren't a constantly moving part of the vehicle, so I'd check elsewhere first. Those tie rods sound suspect to me. Have you jacked up your vehicle and really shook your steering components to see if there's any play?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I am having about the same issues. And my steering wheel has alot of play. So I should replace the tierods? What else should i check for i think ima look at all of the front end when i ge tunder there cause god thats annoying. Seems to happen more often if my wheels are turnt and i go over a bump or dip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardmen3477 View Post
    I am having about the same issues. And my steering wheel has alot of play. So I should replace the tierods? What else should i check for i think ima look at all of the front end when i ge tunder there cause god thats annoying. Seems to happen more often if my wheels are turnt and i go over a bump or dip.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15096

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...03&postcount=4

Go for the gusto and ebay ball joints and tie rod ends. As I just mentioned in another thread it will make a major difference in your front end. Steering play may be in your steering gear. There is a slack adjustment nut on the gear. When I purchased my VX about 4 plus months ago it had major rub rub rub noise when I turned hard left. I thought it was the tire rubbing. after a few weeks it worsened then I pulled into a parking spot and it popped and snapped so loud that people were staring at me. I took it back to the dealer and thier machanic replaced a bad ball joint. She showed it to me it was trashed. So, yes bad ball joints rub, pop, snap crunch you name it.

Well I had time to finally look under mine and it seems my ball joints are completly shot and tore to shreds. So how hard of a project would it be to tear apart and replace them all my uppers and lowers are both shot on both sides. my tie rod ends are also prolly bad Seems like a weekend project!

It is intimidating at first but if you are your own mechanic like many of us you will find it is not that hard. Just don't tear up your speed sensors. that is where you need to be careful.