Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
I recall Tone posting a similar comment in a thread years ago (seriously I'm running out of threads to read ) when comparing the pros/cons of his hitch vs. the Dylan/Curt style hitches. I believe he said that Dylan/Curt hitches bolt directly to the frame rails, and thus were more likely to cause frame torsion/twisting. His hitch would only affect the bumper/cross member, but the trade-off was that his hitch didn't have as high a tongue weight rating.
If your tow hitch hooks to the frame force will be sent to the frame. This is the way it is designed as the frame can take more force before bending and it takes force away from the accident that would be applied to your body in the wreck

If the tow hook hooks to the bumper It will handle a lot less weight, less damage to the frame but the force has to go somewhere so it will be applied to your bumper (hooked to frame) and the rear door as well as your body.

Given the choice frame damage is better than being permanently handicapped. Remeber the tow hook will not absorb any force and physics proves it has to go somewhere.