Thread: Trouble with LED Fog Lamps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just got this back from Autolumination:

Hi

One of two things may have happened:

1) they are installed directly beside something hot. Leds can't tolerate ambient temperatures over ~ 140F

2) they got too much voltage. That is the more likely of the two

There are several causes of voltage related failures on leds. Some vehicles chronically cause premature led failures. This is normally related to excess voltage, voltage spikes, high levels of AC current being generated from the alternator, or excessive ambient heat. While glass bulbs are slow to react to rapid surges, leds can be destroyed in milliseconds from a sudden spike or chronic high voltage, or excessive AC current from an alternator that has one or more burned out diodes. Additionally, led bulbs should only be used in areas where the ambient temperature is less than 150F.

If the bulbs are being used in DRL positions, especially GM DRL's, we highly recommend using only our patented 30 led SMT, 20 led tower II or 48 led SMT bulbs in combination with an led protector. If these precautions are not taken, the leds will fail prematurely in most DRL applications.

If the bulbs are being used in gauges with a dimmer, always set the dimmer to 80% or less. This minor adjustment will make the leds last ten times as long in some vehicles with chronic voltage issues.

If the bulbs are being used in an application with no dimmer, we have a new led protector that can be spliced into the + wire to protect against minor voltage surges. These work great in vehicles that have high voltage, or are prone to voltage surges. They can also help protect the leds from:

1. Switching on the ignition & starting the engine.

2. Changing or disconnecting the battery.

3. Charging the battery with an auxiliary battery charger, or revving the engine hard with a weak or dead battery.

4. Using jumper cables.

These are +$1.99 each, and can be purchased from the Load Equalizer page here :

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

http://superlumination.com/images/au...otector_wm.jpg

The first thing I would do is to confirm the bulbs are actually failiing by removing them from the car and testing them independent of the vehicle. That will isolate the problem

The only effective way to test the led bulb is by using two test wires connected direct to a fully charged 12 volt battery or other known 12 volt power supply. This will assure that 12 volts are reaching the led circuits.
    I have a hard time believing that heat was the problem, since the lamps are more or less on the outside of the front bumper. That leaves option #2, but I have a hard time believing I have some voltage surge that apparently has never affected anything but these LEDs. Convenient (IMHO) that this reason is suggested along with an ad for something else to buy.

So it sounds like they want me to re-buy (another $22) these lights, plus a voltage regulator, and ***hope*** that it doesn't happen again. Seems like a recipe for wasting money to me. What do you guys think? And how would you suggest testing against an independent 12V source as is suggested at the end of the email? It's not like I have an electrician's workbench handy in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    That leaves option #2, but I have a hard time believing I have some voltage surge that apparently has never affected anything but these LEDs. Convenient (IMHO) that this reason is suggested along with an ad for something else to buy.

So it sounds like they want me to re-buy (another $22) these lights, plus a voltage regulator, and ***hope*** that it doesn't happen again. Seems like a recipe for wasting money to me. What do you guys think? .
    I don't know much about 'lectricty, that's for sure, but mine, Eric's, and at least two others, who I can't recall, all had some "new" LEDs blow/self destruct .....which only leads me to think it may be fairly common..???

I think I'd try to return the ones to autolumination (kind of insist on a credit)...and buy the $12.59 ones on ebay from "motoringmax" (w/free shipping) and give them a try....less to lose.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_7038wt_909

Another idea may be to consult Kenny...he's Mr. electric/electronics...maybe he has some input that will help.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.