Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LS1 Swap?

Quote Originally Posted by Exclamation View Post
    well they apparently had trouble getting the tranny, They sent me a text on monday saying they are expecting the tranny to be delivered late this week dono what too it so long?
    Wow. VX trannies are readily available.

Yea I dont understand it either but oh well I didnt have to pay for a thing and I didnt buy their warranty or anything soo im happy :P

I know there was member back a year or more ago who was doing that ls1 install and even had PICS posted if i remember correctly. It may have been Coachreed, as Ascinder mentions, just don't remember for sure. He was going to continue updates but i don't know what happened from there. What an awesome combo that would be, though!

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    It was Coachreed...his gallery has some pretty cool pics...looks like he was hooked up to use the VX trany and tfer case with the LS1.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Couchreed got all the way to the point of wiring things up and then sold his rig to AlaskaVX as I recall. From what I remember most of the mechanicals were worked out (he did have to custom fab some plates and whatnot to get the TOD working) - ultimately it was getting the ECU to work with everything that was the headache.

If you go with a simplified swap (like something with a carb and no fuel injection) you could probably have an easier time with it - of course you still have to deal with the emission problem if you live somewhere that has emission requirements. If you're looking for torque, a diesel swap may be easier to do, especially if you pull a turbo diesel from another Isuzu that uses the same tranny.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Any turbo diesels that make around 300 hp? But are reliable and easy to fix? i wanted to go with an LS line engine because they are quite common and are easy to fix and quite reliable as compared to the isuzu engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Exclamation View Post
    Any turbo diesels that make around 300 hp? But are reliable and easy to fix? i wanted to go with an LS line engine because they are quite common and are easy to fix and quite reliable as compared to the isuzu engines.
    Isuzu...unreliable? I know of many, many zu's with well over 200,000 on the clock including vx's. I have 140,000 on mine.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Well ive heard of many engine failures with the VX and mine consumes oil I would rather have something that didnt consume any, plus a little more umph behind the pedal wouldnt hurt.

I think some of the original '99 VX's had oil and front main bearing issues and somehow suffered from oil starvation if they were accelerated hard on a regular basis. I'm just kinda remembering something along that line but Isuzu fixed it in the last two production years? I add the ? 'cuz I'm not 100% sure of all the details, so I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.
    Last edited by BeeVenom : 01/29/2011 at 04:36 PM Reason: Reworded my first sentence

^ Don't use that shop LOL ^

dropping old and getting a new tranny should only take a couple hours. 30 days WTF are they doing?
    ROFLMAO, and how long have you had coachreed's VX with the engine and tranny already installed? J/K, I just thought I'd throw that out there since everyone dogs me on being slow on my build too

Anyways, exclamation, it sounds like your friends dad is the kind of guy I'd go to for sure. It's all too often that I run into "certified" shop or dealer mechanics who only know how to replace an apple with an apple so to speak. For stuff like you're dealing with, a knowledgeable but open minded person will do wonders for actually getting things done. In swaps there are just too many unpredictable snags for the average wrench monkey to wrap their head around. Good luck! If you need any direction or hit any problem areas, drop me a PM.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVenom View Post
    I think some of the original '99 VX's had oil and front main bearing issues and somehow suffered from oil starvation if they were accelerated hard on a regular basis. I'm just kinda remembering something along that line but Isuzu fixed it in the last two production years? I add the ? 'cuz I'm not 100% sure of all the details, so I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.
    Think this is the info you're thinking of....
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ght=built+2000 - see Post #9 particularly.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Thanks for the help all!

Coachreed had also installed the 4L60 transmission to handle the extra ooomph but stock transfer case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    ROFLMAO, and how long have you had coachreed's VX with the engine and tranny already installed? J/K, I just thought I'd throw that out there since everyone dogs me on being slow on my build too
    Hey quit typing and start building! These people demand to see it done NOW!
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Hey quit typing and start building! These people demand to see it done NOW!
    I'm afraid I may have to disappoint. Looks like it's pretty likely my VX project will be on hold for about 1 year while I go play over in the sandbox

Just a message for Exclamation. The LS1 just fits in the VX and the best trany to use is the 4L60E. If you want to stay with the TOD, you will have to use a 4L60E from a 4x4 and make a custom adapter plate. The other option is use a long tail 4L60E for a 2WD application which would save you allot of time and money. I dropped in a LS1 (LQ9) in my VX 3-4 years ago with a 4L60E and I love it. I might even drop one in my other VX but we will have to see. Good luck!