Thread: Cargo Mods Episode IV: A New Hope

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cargo Mods Episode IV: A New Hope

Cargo Mods Episode IV: A New Hope

Entering his 4th year of VX ownership,
    vt_maverick finds himself still searching for more cargo space.
    With all exterior options exhausted, he turns back to the interior for ideas,
    searching for new ways to store even more crap. Having upgraded to larger tires,
    his stock spare was now useless. If only something could be built to take up it's space...

SPACE WARS

Episodes I-III (WARNING: Intros are less entertaining):

Carrying Pets in the VX
    Taking the pet barrier to the next level... literally
    A New Weapon in the Ongoing War for Cargo Space

A few months ago I asked JAMAS (Jon) to take a look at building a cargo box to fill the spare tire area in the rear door. I wanted something big enough to fit my jump starter / tire pump, air jack, oil, and tools so that I could look at using my Tone box for something different (thinking air tank right now). I also wanted to overcome a problem that I introduced in the second thread above, namely, there was a small void between the rear door and the edge of the Tone box, such that my dog could slip and fall unless I blocked the space with pillows, blankets, etc. So I asked Jon to see what he could come up with that would meet the space requirements while also filling in the void between the door and the Tone box.

Here is the initial design sketch I sent Jon:

So over the next several weeks we traded emails on additional design ideas, including using paracord on the main door to create a fold-out "work shelf," mounting a light to the inside of the top box door, etc. Here is the end result:

Closed:

Open:

Personally I think it turned out great, the storage capacity is awesome and it looks totally OEM from inside the cabin with the door closed. There's no holes to drill since it mounts to the door using the spare tire plate, and it fits perfectly up against my Tone box to keep the main door from swinging open. To give you an idea of the capacity, I currently have the following in the door:

Battery jumpstarter / tire pump
    Air jack and accessories
    Box of bungee straps
    Quart of oil
    Screwdriver set
    Rubber mallet
    Safety glasses
    Flash light
    Bag of miscellaneous tools
    First aid kit

I'll leave it to Jon to advertise timelines and/or price, but I'll be the first to tell you that when he's ready to build these you guys should give it some serious thought. VERY useful mod for anyone who can no longer use their factory spare.
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 02/01/2011 at 04:19 PM