Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cargo Mods Episode IV: A New Hope

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cargo Mods Episode IV: A New Hope

Cargo Mods Episode IV: A New Hope

Entering his 4th year of VX ownership,
    vt_maverick finds himself still searching for more cargo space.
    With all exterior options exhausted, he turns back to the interior for ideas,
    searching for new ways to store even more crap. Having upgraded to larger tires,
    his stock spare was now useless. If only something could be built to take up it's space...

SPACE WARS

Episodes I-III (WARNING: Intros are less entertaining):

Carrying Pets in the VX
    Taking the pet barrier to the next level... literally
    A New Weapon in the Ongoing War for Cargo Space

A few months ago I asked JAMAS (Jon) to take a look at building a cargo box to fill the spare tire area in the rear door. I wanted something big enough to fit my jump starter / tire pump, air jack, oil, and tools so that I could look at using my Tone box for something different (thinking air tank right now). I also wanted to overcome a problem that I introduced in the second thread above, namely, there was a small void between the rear door and the edge of the Tone box, such that my dog could slip and fall unless I blocked the space with pillows, blankets, etc. So I asked Jon to see what he could come up with that would meet the space requirements while also filling in the void between the door and the Tone box.

Here is the initial design sketch I sent Jon:

So over the next several weeks we traded emails on additional design ideas, including using paracord on the main door to create a fold-out "work shelf," mounting a light to the inside of the top box door, etc. Here is the end result:

Closed:

Open:

Personally I think it turned out great, the storage capacity is awesome and it looks totally OEM from inside the cabin with the door closed. There's no holes to drill since it mounts to the door using the spare tire plate, and it fits perfectly up against my Tone box to keep the main door from swinging open. To give you an idea of the capacity, I currently have the following in the door:

Battery jumpstarter / tire pump
    Air jack and accessories
    Box of bungee straps
    Quart of oil
    Screwdriver set
    Rubber mallet
    Safety glasses
    Flash light
    Bag of miscellaneous tools
    First aid kit

I'll leave it to Jon to advertise timelines and/or price, but I'll be the first to tell you that when he's ready to build these you guys should give it some serious thought. VERY useful mod for anyone who can no longer use their factory spare.
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 02/01/2011 at 04:19 PM

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Nice job guys...very useful and looks great.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

You really need an adventure trailer
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    Those things are sweet, but for that cost ($9K+) I could buy 1-2 VX's.

You know it's pricey when they make you open a separate document to view the comprehensive pricing sheet. Take a look:

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/page/trailers/horizon/
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 02/01/2011 at 06:00 AM Reason: Adding URL with pricing for reference

looks great!!! I am going to give these guys a call and see if they can make something for the VX

http://www.springtailsolutions.com/subpage10.html

Quote Originally Posted by surf-life View Post
    looks great!!! I am going to give these guys a call and see if they can make something for the VX

http://www.springtailsolutions.com/subpage10.html
    Looks cool, but it seems like all their solutions are built around mounting backpacks; there just isn't room in the VX for something like that (IMHO) unless you're planning on permanently removing your backseats. Not to mention you'll need to take out a second mortgage to pay for it. Sample Tahoe pricing list:

Tahoe/GMC MSM Base unit: $1595.00

Optional Drawer Trays: $350.00/pair

Optional Top Shelf: $180.00
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 02/01/2011 at 06:13 PM

very nice...i was going to question you about the void on the prototype ...but appears to have been addressed in the latest issue....real real nice....will it open with the rear door closed?...........just to clarify...does the newest offering look like the first picture...or the last
    Last edited by VXjunky : 01/31/2011 at 04:33 PM

Wow mav & Jon- That looks great!
    It came out more functional than I envisioned, really cool!
    I was going to use my donut mount on my pulley system...guess I need to find another if I ever want to do this mod. ((Tom...can we use something else to hoist the spare????))
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Guys,

The kit looks great. KUDOS!!!

KAT,

Sure we can use something else. Not sure of the benefit of using it for this application though - it takes up space in the storage area. Either a flat plate of the same diameter or just 3 pan head screws with some large washers would do the same job without taking up the space of that bracket.

When I make it back home, I'll try to remember to take the donut to Welder Guy to make a plate that will do the same job for your hoist.

BTW, I have a spare bracket as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by VXjunky View Post
    will it open with the rear door closed?...........just to clarify...does the newest offering look like the first picture...or the last
    The prototype that Jon built for me was designed to "mate" perfectly with my existing Tone box (similar dimensions as his own cargo boxes) so right now the main box door will not open with the rear door closed because it's flush with the Tone box. The upper box will open with the rear door closed, but Jon used beefy shut-tight hinges so it won't come open on its own.

I would imagine that members who do not have a Tone or JAMAS cargo box would probably want a latching mechanism on the main door. I'm sure Jon could add that very easily with $1.50 in hardware and 5 seconds with a drill.

The first picture is just a mock-up; the last two are what I actually have installed. I gave Jon a few suggestions for the full production version, but it will look 95% like what you see here (unless you're willing to pay for additional customization of course).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ascinder
    Those things are sweet, but for that cost ($9K+) I could buy 1-2 VX's.

You know it's pricey when they make you open a separate document to view the comprehensive pricing sheet.
    You can get a military surplus trailer for a grand or less. With a very slight bit of work it would haul everything you need and go everywhere you could possibly want. Look at what Ldub did with just a normal trailer. Then you just hook up the trailer for adventuring and enjoy the extra space when you are just driving around.

Dub's trailer is sweet, I'll have to think that over and look into where I can find a surplus place in the local area. Got to believe there's someplace in Hampton Roads, we have like 10 military bases (Army, Marine, AF, Navy, Coast Guard) all within 45 minutes of each other.

I'm almost certain there will be an Episode V; we found out a few weeks ago that we have another little one on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Dub's trailer is sweet, I'll have to think that over and look into where I can find a surplus place in the local area. Got to believe there's someplace in Hampton Roads, we have like 10 military bases (Army, Marine, AF, Navy, Coast Guard) all within 45 minutes of each other.

I'm almost certain there will be an Episode V; we found out a few weeks ago that we have another little one on the way!

Congrats Ashley & Sonya!

Here's another mod for Mav! Don't know if t dog will still fit behind there....
    I know you'll make it work somehow!
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/me...d=91&protype=1
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/91vx-7c.jpg

Yeah I looked at that set-up awhile back. The dog probably wouldn't fit, but beyond that the "third row seat" seems way too small for any passenger besides a child, and they would have to be in a car seat or booster seat that wouldn't fit either.