Thread: Another Headlight Change Instructions

2001, Silver, Vehicross, Supercharged, 0492, Sold 3/20/2012

Another Headlight Change Instructions

Old eyes need more light, so I went for a pair of Sylvania Silverstar Ultras.

Here are my instructions.
    I had enough room to get to the back of the headlights.
    Pinch on each side of the plastic connector and wiggle off of the bulb prongs. I found black sticky stuff water seal on the connector. Do not just pull the connector off of the prongs. Press the tabs.

Pull off the rubber cuff from the metal body sleeve around bulb and fold back over the bulb prongs to reveal the wire holding the bulb metal flange in place. This will pull the rubber weather hood off of the bulb and this will pull the rubber inside out. Be careful not to tear the rubber. Some of the black sticky waterproofing on the connector may have gotten on the bulb base and will glue the rubber to the bulb. If the rubber will not come free, you can push the rubber to the side to unhook the wire. Press in (Toward the front of the car) and down on the wire to release the bulb - on one side.
    Now the hardest part— The retaining wire is in the form of a complex U shape. One end is the hook going under the tab. The center of the U is caught under a Phillips screw with some white ceramic cement. The other end presses on the bulb metal flange. If the rubber weather hood still attached, it is hard to get the wire off of the metal flange and remove the bulb, but it can be done. With the rubber off and out of the way, it is easier to get the flange out from under the wire end. Wiggle the bulb from under the wire and out of the housing.
    Replace bulb under the wire end and orient the flat in the correct rotation. Then press the other end of the wire under the tab. Arrange the rubber hood in the normal state. I shot silicone spray on the bulb contact area. Slide the hood over the bulb and press the hood into the body metal sleeve. The hood is labeled TOP for orientation.
    Squeeze the side tabs on the electrical connector and press onto the bulb prongs.
    Done.

Cheers, Roy

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Thanks Roy.

I love my Silverstar Ultras. I put them in when I had the housings out to replace the gaskets.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up