Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Having two Issues....

Having two Issues....

So I have two issues and am looking for some info and or help. One, I'm running super rich. Still idle's at normal rpm and excelleration is at norm. Just seems to be running really, really rich. Exhause smells of fresh fuel. lol any idea's??
    Two, need brake suggestions. One, having huge issue with my brake's feezing in the cold temp. Almost ended my beautiful VX. Take a bit of pumping to break them loose when temps are dropping around zero. Typical problem?? Most of all need brake suggestions. Brakes seem soooooo weak. Abs kicks on frequently just dosen't seem to have crap for stopping power and yes everything is in good functional condition. Just wondering if there are any viable brake upgrades. Caliper/pad or even master cylinder solutions. Any suggestions out there? Thanks and by the way was on lake shore drive during the blizzard of 2011 the night it was being closed down. VX made it all the way from where you get on at 55s to the Navy Pier exit in the unplowed lane where I made it off at around 6:45 pm. Only two other suvs where able to follow. Will post vids I was taking while laughing at the panicing drivers on youtube in a few days. Once again my little tonka toy rocked!

Any chance you have a fuel line leak instead of just running rich?

No, no leaks parked in garage nightly, checked all lines and fuel pressure. Which seems to be normal. Just seems to be running really rich?

Now that I've exhausted my minimal mechanical knowledge, maybe you need to just accept the richness and embrace it with something like this:

Single Exhaust Flame Thrower Kit

lol very nice

I'm just curious....Other than smelling the fuel in your exhaust, how else do you know it's running rich? Is MPG drastically down?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by p_justin13 View Post
    Two, need brake suggestions. One, having huge issue with my brake's feezing in the cold temp. Almost ended my beautiful VX. Take a bit of pumping to break them loose when temps are dropping around zero. Typical problem?? Most of all need brake suggestions. Brakes seem soooooo weak. Abs kicks on frequently just dosen't seem to have crap for stopping power and yes everything is in good functional condition. Just wondering if there are any viable brake upgrades. Caliper/pad or even master cylinder solutions. Any suggestions out there?
    Hey - glad to see another Chicagoan on here. Yup - I was laughing all the way during the blizzard when my VX was just crushing through all the snowdrifts leaving everyone else stranded...

Anyway - I would suggest taking a look at your calipers and pads. My calipers used to freeze when I bought the truck, so I did a complete front brake overhaul. New calipers, pads, and rotors from R1 Concepts and now I'm happy as a clam (and can stop on a dime).

Brake fluid should not freeze unless the temperature is about -40F, unless it is contaminated with water.

So at a minimum, if you think it really is freezing, you need to do a full flush of the braking system and get some decent fluid in there.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

This is my first winter in my VX so this is the perspective from a total Newbie.

I pulled out of my garage (25 deg F) and drove around for hours in single digit temperatures / negative teens wind chill. Absolutely nothing seemed out of the ordinary in regards to running rich. My braking never changed at all. But....

My ABS has always been broken so I have no perspective on how that should act if it was working properly. Some people here believe that the ABS on the VX is so overly-sensitive that they feel braking is better off without it. Like I said, I have no ABS experience so I don't know how it should feel, but I'm riding on some pretty good mountain/snow-rated, all-terrain tires (General Grabber AT2.) On snow I have to really play around and brake excessively to make my VX slide. On ice, the rear end really wants to lock up and spin the VX - sometimes even during mild braking.

Could you be experiencing what others have described as "overly-aggressive ABS" which seems to keep the wheels from locking up and rolling to such a degree that the brakes seems "useless"? If you can find a safe area, you could test that by pulling the ABS fuse under the hood to see if things seem better without it. Just be super careful on ice - mine is really spooky!

patiently waiting for the promised videos

Thumbs up Now......

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Now that I've exhausted my minimal mechanical knowledge, maybe you need to just accept the richness and embrace it with something like this:

Single Exhaust Flame Thrower Kit

That's an good reason not to tailgate you at all or being after you at traffic light
    Dakar was just the begining.

The running rich issue could be as simple as spark plugs. If you aren't getting adequate spark, you'll be sending un-burned fuel into the exhaust system. The odd part is though, your catalytic converter should be burning it off before it exits the tail pipe.

Since I operate on the KISS principal, I'd throw in a new set of quality plugs before starting to chase down any of the more expensive gremlins.

Sticky brakes in cold weather - don't use the parking brake. Often the parking brake shoes (I think that's how the VX is set up) will freeze to the drum. Again, try the KISS principal. Don't use the parking brake for a while & see if the problem persists.

Ineffective brakes - Use the search function on the home page to find any threads on slotted rotors. IIRC the consensus was for optimal braking to use slotted rotors with OEM pads and Stainless Steel brake lines. As indicated in one of the other responses, you should probably drain, refill & bleed your brakes so now is the oportune time to add those SS brake lines.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 02/09/2011 at 05:22 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

move to Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Sticky brakes in cold weather - don't use the parking brake. Often the parking brake shoes (I think that's how the VX is set up) will freeze to the drum. Again, try the KISS principal. Don't use the parking brake for a while & see if the problem persists.

Ineffective brakes - Use the search function on the home page to find any threads on slotted rotors. IIRC the consensus was for optimal braking to use slotted rotors with OEM pads and Stainless Steel brake lines. As indicated in one of the other responses, you should probably drain, refill & bleed your brakes so now is the oportune time to add those SS brake lines.
    No ABS = Slotted rotors, EBC pads, SS lines.... great stopping power at a fraction of a new ABS module.

My VX rarely sits outside the garage, but when it does in the winter, I get a similar issue. Our nights tend to be very cold and damp. I have pretty open faced wheels and the moisture gets to the rotors easily. All it takes is a thin layer of surface rust to create some ugly sticking and noise on th ebrakes. Usually goes away after a bit of use. This is a daily issue with my STi's Brembos. The first 1-3 miles of my morning commute sounds like grinding metal with weaker stopping power, and it sticks pretty rough when I pull out of the driveway. Just something you get used to (in my case).
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Are you sure the gasoline smell is from the exhaust pipe?

Injection problems and fuel pump problems can case a gasoline smell only when it is running.