Thread: MAF Sensor

MAF Sensor

I had a diagnostic run on my VX to see if the pros can find anything that may have brought my MPG's down (from about 16-17 to 12-13). I did run Sea Foam through the system and it seemed to boost it up a bit, but no more than 14. One of the issues they said that may be at fault is, I am missing the Screen before my MAF Sensor. I have cleaned it a few times and have never seen one, have looked online and see where there are some sensors that do have the screen and some that don't.

Do we have a screen or not??

If I remember correctly mine has a screen. The screen is probably 1/2" thick and has honey comb shaped holes. I could probably get a picture of it for you tonight.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I know the screen is VERY important. When I had the Mach 1 if the screen got rotated because of me moving things around it would affect how the car would idle so much that it would die at any speed if I lifted the throttle and took the car out of gear. In the mustangs I think it created a certain flow or spiral or something when the air passed through it and then through the MAF sensor. I'd try to source one for sure, hopefully could find a wrecked VX and get the part for cheap.

Maybe could fit one from another vehicle that shares the same MAF set up, I think the Axiom is the same engine, or close. Is that right?

Mark - Thanks, but no need for the picture. I seen a few online and see where it would go. I will be trying to find one starting......

NOW!!

Thanks for the help peeps. (I know....I can't really pull that word off very well)