Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Thinking about using a Galaxy Tab as a head unit....

The primary task is to make the interior look as stock as possible. Out of sight, out of mind. I've had several vehicles that I've owned broken into, so I try to make things look as ordinary as possible to the casual observer. The mount is about the only thing that looks different, but that isn't its final resting place. I'm currently more involved in another car project that is taking up a lot of my time, but I'll be devoting more time to the VX as the other starts to wind down.

One thing I noticed about current SUVs is there are power outlets everywhere. I only have one in the ashtray, and the new unit I installed in the armrest is already full of necessities. As I'm riding my bike more, and my kid always wants his DSI w/him, something had to change. I hate having to air up my tires in the front of the truck when I'm pulling the bike out of the rear of the truck. I found some power outlets on eBay and wired them in this weekend. They both work like a champ.

The first one is for the rear seat passengers, and is placed under the ashtray.

The second is in the rear compartment that houses the jack tools.

I also went to the junkyard this weekend and scored these from a Rodeo:
    1) The cubby hole blank for my dash so you don't see a bunch of wires where the radio used to be (it'll work for the old 6 CD changer on the bottom of the console, as well, as it has the special "brackets" needed to house both units built in. It looks like a great place to mount a small CB so that it'll blend in w/the truck...

2) and the switch pod to replace the cubby on the left side of the steering wheel. Notice that it has the tailgate release on it. Since we all know the VX doesn't have an automatic release, I'm going to try and figure out how to install the Rodeo unit.