Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about using a Galaxy Tab as a head unit....

Thinking about using a Galaxy Tab as a head unit....

....and getting rid of the traditional head unit. I ordered some miniature linear actuators for another project that I was working on that will no longer require them, and I can fab something up so that it either pops up from a slot cut in the dash and hard wire it in (preferred method), flips down from the roof (second option) or I can use a traditional suction mount.

In my Acura, I put together a CarPC setup, and this method would streamline a lot of what I did, specifically, it would enable me to keep everything contained in a unit as opposed to having a separate LCD and computer running everything.

One of the reasons I went CarPC is b/c I have miniature cameras setup so that I record the activity of what's going on in front of and behind me, and the video feed is stored on the SD card, and then uploaded off site, which is awesome. I found an Android app that will do the same thing (http://www.dailyroads.com/voyager.php), and still keep recording while navigation and other apps (Power Amp, anyone?) are still running, eliminating the need to buy all of that stuff. Since my Android phone is rooted and the hotspot feature is unlocked, while in the truck, the tablet can use the phone's Internet connection. In the CarPC, I use a 3.5mm to RCA jack that feeds into the EQ, then to the amps, which gives me full control over everything. I'd be able replicate the same thing w/the tablet. I feel I'll be moving forward on this in the next few weeks.

Thoughts?

1999, Empire Blue Mica (Blue Streak), Ltd. 87/175 #1787
    I will be watching you with interest.

Last week I upgraded TORQUE for Android on my Galaxy Tab and at last it works with a cheapo ODB11 bluetooth EMC... My JDM double din head unit is dead so if this looks like a way to go then it could actually save me some money.. I have taken to putting my SIM in the GT anyway so wont need phone to hook up...

I forgot that the new Dell Streak 7 is out! Dual core 1 Ghz processor w/front facing camera....nice! About the same size as a Tab, a bit more expensive, however, but still. Either way, I plan on going the tablet route. The Sprint Tabs don't use a SIM card, I also don't technically have to activate the device and get another service contract since I can tether it to my phone. Since I use the Samba app, I can move files (i.e., music and movies) to the Tab w/using the Wifi connection, which means I can permanently mount it. GPS will still work, too. I know there are FM radio apps out there, and since my music is all digital, I don't have a need for a CD player.

Which Bluetooth EMC are you using?
    Last edited by eternal21 : 02/16/2011 at 01:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by voyeur View Post
    I will be watching you with interest....
    With that screen name we would have expected this!

Thoughts?
    Maybe...if I had any clue what you were talking about!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

that would be pretty cool if you can create a nice looking mount for it.

the Torque program is fantastic! I am using a Crescent Bluetooth adapter for mine (like 50 bucks on Amazon) works very well. so far i have used it in the VX, a Civic, a couple of Volkswagens and a BMW 7 series

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I haven't tried the new Galaxy Tab yet - although I did root my Nook Color recently and just use it as my bed side internet browser, Nook/Kindle reader, Facebook appliance, and Gmail reader.

I'm not sure how the Galaxy compares, but I'm not impressed w/ Android 2.x on tablets. I'm waiting for the new Honeycomb version to come out.

I'd love to see how yours setup turns out. I've done the CarPC route before in my BMW E46 awhile back. With our cellphones/tablets being more capable these days, it's a great idea.

This is relevant to my interests...

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    that would be pretty cool if you can create a nice looking mount for it.
    Like that old saying goes, "I have a guy...." *lol*

He did this for me for my Legend:

Before:

After:

1999, Empire Blue Mica (Blue Streak), Ltd. 87/175 #1787

Bluetooth OBDII

I'm using a Bluetooth ELM327. Which all appear to come from China at around 20 GBP here in the UK. It originally didn't appear to work with Torque for Android when it arrived about a month ago (Comms problem)... but a recent Torque update got it working.

When I mod a car, I always try to make it so that I could return it to stock if I ever decided to sell it. I was contemplating cutting open the dash above the radio and making it so that the unit flips up. I was driving tonight and I looked in the review mirror when I realized, DOH!, I can make a rear view mirror mount for a Tab! We all know the mirror is useless anyway, so why not?

In my Legend, I'm using a Pioneer DEQ-9200 DSP to move from the computer to the amps, and I was looking for another one. They go for $300+ new and around $150-$200 used. I scored a used one locally that I'm picking up tomorrow for $60! It fits in a DIN sized slot, so it'll go where the stock radio is currently located, and it has a removable face, as well.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...nents/DEQ-9200
    Last edited by eternal21 : 02/17/2011 at 08:21 PM

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6Mx9WQ8cY

It's an ipad but similar to what your talking about I think, it's a sweet setup
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6Mx9WQ8cY

It's an ipad but similar to what your talking about I think, it's a sweet setup
    Yeah, I've seen that one. There's also a guy that put one in a Nissan Titan, but there are 2 issues with both those installs, IMHO: 1) The ipad is HUGE, WAY too big to put in a car if you ask me and 2) they are mounted low in the dash. I want my stuff to be in line of sight so I don't have to look down and then up at the road, then down, then up @ the road. With the rear view mount, I can keep everything in line of sight, which is better for overall safety.

So, I picked up the DEQ this morning, and the guy that sold it to me works @ a stereo shop and can install my Clifford Avantguard III w/remote start on my 6MT Legend for $120! Scwheet!

On my way back from the Dr's, I stopped by Radio Shack, and the salesman let me take a Tab case out to the VX for a little measurement action.

Yeah, this is *definitely* going to happen *lol*

Ya it is a pretty big unit (that's what she said! zing!), that Tab will look sweet up there, just thought you'd find that install interesting if you hadn't already seen it. IMO I don't think looking at the dash real quick would be much different than glancing up at the rearview mirror. if you had it mounted at the bottom of the dash near the floor yeah, but when I'd glance at my gauges that I had installed in the radio slot it wasn't a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    IMO I don't think looking at the dash real quick would be much different than glancing up at the rearview mirror. if you had it mounted at the bottom of the dash near the floor yeah, but when I'd glance at my gauges that I had installed in the radio slot it wasn't a big deal.
    If you get into an accident, it's a *big* difference. When you're looking up, you're looking out the windshield, and you can still see traffic. If you look down even for an instant, blammo, that's when that deer crosses the street *lol*. It's one of the reasons why gauge pods w/pillars are so popular. I used to work @ USAA and have several police officer friends, and I can't tell you how many times (partial) fault was placed @ the foot of the insured b/c of what is termed inattentive/distracted driving. Oh, you looked down and didn't see that car pull out? Nope, not gonna be me *lol*. Not splitting hairs with you, b/c on my car, the boost and a/f gauges will be in the dash *lol*.

I currently have an HTC Evo, and I spent some time yesterday driving around with that driving app I mentioned, and let me tell you that I'm pretty impressed. I shot some day/night video, more of which I'll upload tonight. It is very easy to use, and the GPS speedo is accurate.

NightHD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpxJ6b5SFLs

The difference in quality between 720p and non-hd is staggering, so I *definitely* want a tablet w/a HD capable video camera. The Tab doesn't shoot video in HD, so that's out the door, and the Streak 7 has rec'd abysmal ratings due to the poor screen resolution, so I'm going to have to pass on that one, too. HTC has a new tablet coming out in Q2 2011, so I'm thinking I can get a dash/windshield mount for the EVO as I wait for that. Specs are here: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/15/h...-7-inch-flyer/
    Last edited by eternal21 : 02/22/2011 at 09:54 AM

"Video is private" can not be viewed.