Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about using a Galaxy Tab as a head unit....

Looks like it is going to be a fun weekend. Look at how small the amp is!

So I was playing with my rooted EVO and the Tablet a few minutes ago. I have VNC Server (requires root access) installed on my phone, and installed androidVNC on the Tab.

If I root my Tablet and actually get a service plan through Sprint, I can run VNC Server on the Tab and use the phone to connect to it. That means if we leave our Tabs in our vehicles, we can view the front/rear cameras to see what's going on while we're away

androidVNC doesn't seem to have full functionality yet, as it is view capable only, it would appear; however, since there is an option for "input" that lets you select (albeit, the selection doesn't change) different input methods, I'm sure it won't be too long now.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKe-y7TxjrM

Can't wait to see the final result.

Proof of concept works. I don't even need to use the DEQ-9200, as I previously thought. I'm still waiting the OEM Samsung car mount to complete everything.

So I stuck the door speakers in, and that's been done before, so it's no big deal. Mounting horns, however, are a pain, as I found out. Steel strapping is the best bet from what I've been able to determine. It takes a lot of fit and refitting to get the straps all in place and the speaker solidly in place. I had to use a few straps, but the results speak for themselves. The speaker doesn't move, the straps aren't in the way, and there is more than enough room between the speaker and the pedals, even for the manual conversion, which I'm going to tackle this summer.

Here's modification of the straps as the speaker was out during one of the test fittings....

And here it is in place....

I'll be fabricating a speak-mesh grille for them which will be overlaid with speaker cloth. Side one is down (it only took 3 hours *lol*). I'll tackle the passenger's side today.
    Last edited by eternal21 : 03/15/2011 at 09:40 AM

^ Is this so I can feel the bass in my man parts?

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    ^ Is this so I can feel the bass in my man parts?
    Horns reproduce highs, and help create one of the most accurate front stages achievable in mobile environments.

Read more here> http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/prod...hp?Family_Id=5
    Experience a realistic sound stage that is uniquely Image Dynamics.

Image Dynamics controlled dispersion HLCD speakers are the most technologically advanced method for overcoming the acoustics of the mobile audio environment. Their proprietary characteristics make them the ultimate choice in midrange and high frequency reproduction.

With the Image Dynamics horn design it is easy to achieve a realistic sound stage with focused imaging from both the passenger and driver positions at the same time. What makes this possible is our proprietary dispersion pattern that overcomes path length differences and greatly reduces unwanted early reflections.

The MH mini-horn versions open up the installation possibilities allowing them to fit into virtually any vehicle. Using a proprietary multiple flare rate horn design the new MH versions do not sacrifice performance for size. To totally eliminate any resonances of the horn mouth which can cause distortion they are molded with a very thick cross section of high damping urethane. The dispersion pattern of the MH version has been improved making achieving a proper sound stage in some vehicles even easier than before.

Our horn loaded speaker designs yield many advantages over direct radiating speaker designs. With ultra high efficiency of up to 110 dB you can experience intense dynamic impact and realism with even low power amplifiers. Another product of their high efficiency is lower distortion that exposes a revealing character to the music that is a thrilling experience to behold.

When you combine the benefits of controlled dispersion, high efficiency, and low distortion it becomes clear that they are the ultimate choice. We invite you to experience the benefits of our competition winning designs that are an affordable way to raise your system to world class performance.

J/k with you... I figure anybody knowledgeable enough to do what you're doing must know what they're doing.

Well, good news and bad news on this project. Good news is that it works like it is supposed to, and I'm pretty pleased. The bad news is that the DEQ won't process the digital signal. Considering that I purchased 2 (one for my car, one for my truck), I'll now be parting with 2 *lol*. I bought a little $50 DAC that should have done the trick, but it doesn't. The Toslink to 3.5 adapter isn't recognized by the Tab or my cell phone, so that idea has been tossed. Now I have these 2 DIN sized openings that I have to fill *lol*. I was thinking of a cb in one, haven't decided on the other quite yet.

I tether the unit to my phone's Internet connection for interwebs access. PowerAmp runs the MP3s nicely, and it has a built-in 11 band EQ, so I do have some flexibility even w/out the DEQ. Everything is just combined into this relative easy, simplistic interface that is very portable. For those looking for an alternate method to overcoming the traditional limitations of so many GPS enabled sat/nav radios, I'd highly suggest it.

As far as mounting, I'm using an OEM Samsung Tab car mount, primarily b/c it has a built in charger. I've removed my rear view mirror and am considering fabbing up something that uses the rearview bracket instead of the suction cup. I decided to rock out like that for the next couple weeks to see how it works out, and then make a decision.

I've loaded Samba FileSharing onto the phone and the tab, so I can browse to them wireless from my laptop and transfer music/videos/etc to them. I'm pretty pleased with the simplicity and portability, and look forward to completing the rest of the sound system w/the edition of some sound deadening (lots!) and another amp and a sub.

Immediate plans include hard-wiring the car charger, hard-wiring the phone charger, rooting the Tab, and deciding on whether or not I'd like to acquire a telephone number for it.
    Last edited by eternal21 : 03/21/2011 at 09:51 AM

Pretty cool! Nice job.

Update

I'm not a big fan of wires or cables in the cabin, like the ones used to go from the cigarette lighter to the Tab, and the cigarette lighter to the phone. I wanted something inconspicuous, so I began searching. I found a 3 accessory outlet for ~$20 and picked it up.

My thought was that in could fit in my center console, and once I trimmed it up a bit, it did.

There are 2 screw holes on either side, so I drilled the console and stuck two bolts in there to hold it in place. I have my phone plugged in one outlet, my Tab plugged in the other, and one free, not including the cigarette lighter.

Another concern I had in the post-Tab world is that I'm not too keen on having to reach up to the Tab to adjust the volume. I also wanted to control the gain on the amp dedicated to the sub so that I don't advertise when I'm close to home, or driving through bad neighborhoods. I did some searching on eBay and found an RCA gain control.

A guy in GA makes them, and I paid $15 for this one. I liked it so much I bought 3 more for $30 shipped. I have one for overall volume control, and the other is for the sub amp. This is what it looks like under the console:

and when it was all said and done, this is the finished product:

I'm a lot more pleased now. The lid closes and there's no clearance issue. Coupled with no more wires running to the cigarette lighter, it was worth the $40 to knock this out.

The 2 12v outlets I ordered arrived this evening, so I'll be putting those in tonight....one under the rear ashtray, and the other in one of rear compartments.

Did you home run the hot wire for that 3-outlet block to the battery or tie in to something else?

I have two of these under the console, one for positive, one for negative, and it is hooked into them.

$6.00 each @ parts-express.com
    Last edited by eternal21 : 05/24/2011 at 07:32 PM

Hehe.... looks a bit out of place, but I suppose it fits the task and is handy. Nice work.