Thread: Nuke VX build thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    FF dynamics agrees with PK.

FF Dynamics sell their electric fan conversions with a smaller shroud. When I asked about the shroud being 2" short on each side of the radiator, this was the reply I received.
    Thank you VXorado.
    I never wanted this to become a p*ssing contest, just some friendly advice.
    I have no problems at all with the fans being behind the radiator, and having a shroud. In fact, a shroud is a must.
    It is the amount of radiator that you are blanking off that will have no effect on how the fans work, but will seriously restrict the amount of air flow through your radiator at highway speeds.

Whatever you end up doing, I hope it works for you.
    If you end up in Moab next year, I hope we can shake hands and have a beer as we look at your rig.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Well, different companies having different techniques I guess because my diesel shroud is enclosed all the way around (diesel mechanical fan though) and on a GM SUV, as well. Trust me, these are on-highway vehicles only. I was going on what I saw in my garage and what I read for OFF-ROADING:

Four Wheeler Magazine - "Keeping Your Cool: Cooling System Tech"
    The fan shroud should cover as much of the radiator as possible. Don’t be afraid to trim the fan shroud slightly to clear the water inlet or outlet. Do make sure that the shroud seals against the radiator all the way around. It’s ideal to have the fan motor mounted 1 to 2 inches away from the radiator, although some tight situations call for a low profile fan setup like the one shown here.

Then Griffin radiators (King of the Hammers sponsor) has this from the Cooling Bible

As you can see, no gaps whatsoever, but these are off-roading designs. And really, when you look at my rig what is the first thing that pops to mind? How many highway miles does it drive or how much fun it is to off-road that thing? This is our third vehicle and only intended as "inclimate weather use" and off-road. I got a diesel and car hauler for extended trips. (Nothing made me sweat more than driving the Trooper 1200 miles to Moab, then off-roading it for several days while hoping I didn't break some unique expensive Isuzu part that would prevent me from driving the entire family back home and getting back to my job.)

Also, I've not got the steering monster figured out yet. Still have a constant drift the the right requiring constant turning to the left - even while driving a straight road. Adjusted the aluminum bumpstops to prevent the tires from rubbing the sway bar and track bars. Kept the axle on stands, kept tires off, ran the engine and it didn't move after 15 minutes of idling. Alignment is good on all three axis and squareness. I'll have to keep testing (same thing after driving several miles, maybe street tires, maybe new upgraded PS pump)...

Sam