Thread: Bump Stops (again)

Bump Stops (again)

Was just looking under my VX thinking about cutting the bump stops in the rear. I know that at full flex, my tires already touch in the top of the fender back there though.

I was thinking, is there any reason the bump stops there have to be "progressive" ?(now they act almost as a spring, providing more and more resistance as they are compressed)

What I'm thinking is measure how far up in the wheel well I can go before touching the fender, and making a rigid bump stop with a rubber or poly cushion that will stop the suspension travel just before the tire contacts the fender, but not touch it at all otherwise. I cant really see any reason this would be a bad thing unless I was really jumping hard and maxed out the rear, i would slam into those stops pretty hard, but I dont plan on doing anything close to that...

Any thoughts?

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Makes sense to me, but I don't know that I would both fabricate anything. I've seen low-profile, adjustable bump stops for as cheap as $15.

Hi eric !

can i ask why are you after this mod ?

My VX doesn't have any of both front bump stops,seems they rusted out but i wonder which are the benefits of such bump stop in the 1rst place

Would anyone suggest me few ?

Although i never look at the rear bumps conditions since i bought the VX (Yes,shame on me) but i will do.
    Dakar was just the begining.

basically what the rear bump stop does is keep the rear axle from coming so far up that the tire hits the top of the fender.

A lot of folks have said cutting the rear bump stops in half helps the ride of the VX, but at normal size, my rear tires already touch the tops of the fenders at full articulation, so if the bump stops are cut, the tires would probably rub even more often

vt, the only reason i am thinking i need to make something is the low pro bump stops i have seen all are on the end of a fairly long threaded rod. I feel like that wouldnt be very stable with a lot of force coming up at it, because unless it hit perfectly square, the rod would likely bend. I'm thinking something simple like a C channel or maybe just a square piece of tubing with a poly stopper on the bottom