Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I may have to bite the bullet and get new tires to sell the VX: advice welcome...

I may have to bite the bullet and get new tires to sell the VX: advice welcome...

OK so my plan to sell my proton on here without replacing the existing very bad tires, with the idea that a serious forum member would be pretty specific about what tires they would want, has simply not panned out. Selling locally it turns out that the visible thread is a show stopper for some people, even when I go through the logic with them that I kept the price low specifically because of the tires etc. Add to this that I still need to drive the VX, even if it is just for preventive maintenance, cleaning, and test drives, and these tires are to the point that they are not safe. So... I am considering just biting the bullet, gettinf four new ones, and upping my price to partially compensate. I need to keep the price low, the tires generically useful. I am thinking low priced street tire. Maybe Hankook.

Discout Tire gave me a cheapest out the door option (245 60 R18) of $620 for Falcons. Price includes tires, balance and install, disposal fee, and tax.

Tire Kingdom was $716 out the door (also for Falcons)

Alternatively, Tire Rack has options (Hankooks and Yokohamas) as low as $135/tire, $540 total. Shipping will run me at least another $63, so I am already up over $600 and they arent even installed and balanced.

My questions for you:
    1. What tires do I get that are ok and allow me to spend the fewest bucks?
    2. From where would I get them? Local or order from a place like Tire Rack?
    3. Any tips on shopping for a low install and balance price locally?

The yokohama on discounttiredirect.com are 123.00, no tax and free shipping. (You can get them mounted at walmart cheaply)

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=245

What about four used tires off craigslist?

Edit: Essentially, discount tire runs a "direct" or wholesale branch, where the prices are cheaper and they deliver to your door instead of the stores. I just bought 4 nitto terra-grapplers for 185 with free shipping and not tax. They are actually arriving today!

Thanks atilla that sounds like what I am looking for.

One tip, always print out the TireRack or other online price, as most of the chain stores (and prob the privates too) will price match them or come really close to it. It used to be kinda hard to do, now I find Big O, NTB, Discount TIre, Firestone, they just almost automatically agree to match it. Can call them on phone first and find out who will match etc. Recently got my Mom some Cooper tires from PepBoys...."worked" with the manager for about 2 days haggling over price...finally got a flat fee, out the door price, including tax, etc...

BTW...TireRack and prob the other online sellers, will have the tires delivered to a shop, so you don't have to schlep them anywhere. Just ask your chosen shop ahead of time.

The difference you have to factor in is that with online tires, you have to pay a shop for mounting/balancing, sales tax....and environmental disposal fee, and a few more little fees, "shop fee"...

Try Costco....often have $50 off 4 tires. Can order many tires, but not all...but always excellent prices. No negotiation there however.
    Anybody know if Costco offers lifetime balancing....or is it just free rotation? Could use that as a selling point with potential buyer.

Of the people that have shown interest, do they seem to be "stock" type people? Then stock or equivalent type tires will probably be good idea.

Maybe the Bridgestone Duelers (can't remember which 2 letters follow it) that came on them would be a "good" choice in this scenario.

One thing about Costco and the other big box sellers, the tires are going to be "fresh", which in South Florida may be a good selling point as well since you get so much sun exposure.

I agree, putting brand spankin' new rubber on is a huge selling point, rather than the buyer knowing they HAVE to go and get some, no matter how much discount you give them on price...having the new rubber on is a better marketing strategy IMHO.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Excellent ponts KAT...keep in mind that most of the shops that match price will want to include the shipping in their match so call and see what the policy is like KAT said...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Thanks Sue, great info. I will look into costco as well.

I just called a used tire place, they are offering me 2 continentals and to Forenzas, both sets at something like 82% remaining tread, for $340 out the door. Not sure how I feel about 2 diff tires, but saving $300 is looking tempting.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Osteomata View Post
    Thanks Sue, great info. I will look into costco as well.

I just called a used tire place, they are offering me 2 continentals and to Forenzas, both sets at something like 82% remaining tread, for $340 out the door. Not sure how I feel about 2 diff tires, but saving $300 is looking tempting.
    Lots of threads about the importance of having the same size and same brand of tires due to TOD issues. If you go with different ones make sure that you measure the circumfrence of the tires and make sure that they are exactly the same, otherwise you could be trading newer tires for TOD issues. Even if you find 4 of the same used you will need to make sure that they are worn evenly and measure them IMHO.

Buyers do love new tires... You would turn a deficit in your sale into a strength with new rubber (for not that much more than the used, apparently)

Sue is right about price matching. Most places will do it once you factor in shipping cost. Buying tires through my shop saves you 40-50 in mounting fees too

Which Falken tire are you looking at? IIRC the only 245/60/18 tire they make is the Zeix912 which is available Buy 3 get 1 free through Sears. They are notorious for wearing out quickly on larger vehicles or on vehicles frequently on the highway. However Falken is very good with their warranties in these situations. If you are just selling it, that may not be a huge deal for you, but if you sell to someone you know, make sure they know to only expect about 40k out of them.

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

etlsport they were indeed the zeix912s. I will check with Sears for that deal. I also need to contact Discout Tire Direct to see how bad the back order time is for the Yokohama YK520s that they are offering at $123.77 each. Any comments on that tire?

Update from Discount Tire: the yokohama yk520 is being discontinued, and they are not sure I would get the tires at all if I ordered them. That seems a bit.. odd, that they would still have them on their website. the next closest option was $147 per, and I am not intersted in paying that. Back to the drawing board.

Falken Ziex ZE-912 - $117.96 at onlinetires.com $91 shipping to 33071 (Coral SPrings)
    https://www.onlinetires.com/products...+105h+bsw.html

Hankook DynaPro HP RA23 - $120.26 at onlinetires.com - shipping $91
    https://www.onlinetires.com/products...ra23+104t.html

Falken Ziex ZE-912 - $129.20 at tire-easy.com $59 shipping to 33071 (Coral SPrings)
    http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...35&sowigan=GAN

Hankook DynaPro HP RA23 - $132.70 at tire-easy.com

Goodyear Fortera H/L - $134.60 at tire-easy.com
    Last edited by VX KAT : 03/02/2011 at 11:28 AM

careful with the Hankook. I know we got a notice saying the RH03 was recalled, not sure about any of the other dynapros, i would look into it before purchasing. Goodyear fortera H/L is a very nice tire..

Thanks Sue, I am close to pulling the trigger on those Falkens at your link. I actually like the look of them better than the other two. Shipping to Miami is only $53. So I am waiting on only two things:
    1. I want to check on installation options, PepBoys might be my cheapest bet.
    2. I want to hear RiffRaff's thoughts. I am shocked that a tire thread has not pulled him into the debate yet, it has been almost 6 hours!

Channeling RiffRaff...

Buy the General Grabber AT2's, they are simply the only tire that will do on the VX. I am confident that any buyer seeing these tires will immediately feel compelled to pay you more than your asking price, as they will no doubt feel guilty over the blessing you were prepared to bestow upon them.

J/k, I'm sure Riff has far more to say than that.