Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NewBie Help please!! 2001 Yellow VX

HAHAHA! That's great!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Some of us are just pricks tho too so... sorry.

Prick?!?! I thought I told you to call me "Daddy". Now fix me a bourbon, biatch!

BUWAHAHA! Yes, Daddy, sorry, Daddy.

Khoi, I hope you got your answers amongst all this goofin' 'round...?

thanks a million guys. I really appreciate all the help hopefully I will order the wheels and tires this week. VXKAT Hooked me up. I got the yakima racks from her shes the best!! and I ordered the Mega warrior Basket. The only thing is yakima says they dont make a spare tire holder/lock

Quote Originally Posted by khoipong View Post
    The only thing is yakima says they dont make a spare tire holder/lock
    Yakima is obviously confused.... And it includes a locking mechanism.
    http://www.yakima.com/shop/cargo/gea...e-tire-carrier

ebay - $66.99
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Yakima-Spare-Tir...#ht_2164wt_725

here's the locking mount brackets I bought. Locks the basket to the cross members.
    http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-....html?feed=npn

Glad it's all coming together for you. Rack ships out Monday.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Stuff's Available!

I know you'll love your PROTON. I love mine! With regard to your windows, like others, i needed the 'fix' on my driver's side and purchased an OEM regulator from IsuZu at about $70 if I remember correctly. I know they're still available since i just got mine recently. Also, 'street boutiques' sells a metal 'bottom-of-the-window' bracket kit that I got but didn't need afterall so I have it in my garage as a potential fix if I have any further problems with the windows. He sold that for $60 or $65 including shipping.
    The VX emblem can replace the ugly 'isuzu' one in the grill which i think one of our members is making them again. I got the titanium one (I think that's what it is?) for mine. WELCOME TO YOU! scott

Regarding the window regulator... my passenger side gave out long ago and when I went to figure out why I took the regulator motor out for examination. You DO NOT need to replace the regulator assembly if the motor simply gives out! The binding causes the motor to burn up the brushes, that's all - from what I saw in my case anyway. When you widen the track, add lube, and do all the tricks to keep the window from binding simply pull the motor apart. You should see the copper windings in good shape but the brushes will have burned away. All I did was head to Ace Hardware and pick out a pair of motor brushes that looked like they would work in place of the burned out brushes from the regulator motor. The brushes came from a large drill or some other power tool. I used a round file to alter the shape to work in the motor assembly and PRESTO! a $10 fix!

Riff raff of anyone? I just want to confirm My proton is stock height I got some 16x8 rockcrawlers and am thinking about purchasing some mickey thompson MTZ's. Riff raff mentioned I can fit a 285/70/16 on stock height. But the tire shop is saying i cant. I know alot of times these people dont know much especially about our vx's just want to make sure someone has done it already and it will fit on the stick height. Give me your thoughts. I looking for a real aggressive look. I know i can run a 265/75/16 but I would rather the wider tire if it will fit. thanks guys

tire help

Riff raff or anyone? I just want to confirm My proton is stock height I got some 16x8 rockcrawlers and am thinking about purchasing some mickey thompson MTZ's. Riff raff mentioned I can fit a 285/70/16 on stock height. But the tire shop is saying i cant. I know alot of times these people dont know much especially about our vx's just want to make sure someone has done it already and it will fit on the stick height. Give me your thoughts. I looking for a real aggressive look. I know i can run a 265/75/16 but I would rather the wider tire if it will fit. thanks guys

What's the backspacing/offset? What Riff was talking about with the 285/70/16 assumes that you're using the stock rim, which is actually only 7" wide. The extra width on your rims means your tire should stick out at least an additional 1/2" (correct my math here everyone if I'm wrong) - but it could be more if the offset is lower than +38 (stock offset).

The tire should fit with some minor trimming of the front cladding, but the shop probably doesn't want to do that, which is why they're telling you they won't fit. You may want to have them mount and balance the tires for you then take them home to install them so that you can do the trimming yourself.

khoi,

We've seen enough variations from VX to VX significant enough that there won't be any guarantee that they'll fit.

On the bright side, if you get the MTs and you do get some rub at full lock, lifting the front about 1/2 inch is very easy to get the clearance you might need. It's just a matter of cranking the Torsion bars a few turns & then get a front end alignment (which you should get with the new tires anyway).

The alternative is some very slight trimming of the cladding. Again, very easily accomplished.

I say go for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Educate me

I generally stick with stock as I do not 4 wheel. All these questions about tires dont the tire companies know what will work on vehicles? I know tirerack has a fitment program as well that will show what fits though I never used it for large sized tires.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Craig, to give you some idea......here's the minor trimming of the front cladding. I realize you're talking 16"s and mine are 18s.

I have 285/60-18s on OEM 18" rims, and NO TB cranked, and no lift, no special springs etc....and this is ALL I had to trim...and it's very easy.

Like Tom4Bren said, we've seen several instances where people encounter slight variances and tolerances, so you may have a slightly larger or smaller piece to cut, etc... vt. mav said he had to trim cladding to a slightly different degree on each side for his tire/wheel application, so he obviously had some variance, but all very doable.

Riff raff of anyone? I just want to confirm My proton is stock height I got some 16x8 rockcrawlers and am thinking about purchasing some mickey thompson MTZ's. Riff raff mentioned I can fit a 285/70/16 on stock height. But the tire shop is saying i cant. I know alot of times these people dont know much especially about our vx's just want to make sure someone has done it already and it will fit on the stick height. Give me your thoughts. I looking for a real aggressive look. I know i can run a 265/75/16 but I would rather the wider tire if it will fit. thanks guys