Thread: diff drop/ball joint flip

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    hahaha good point, not sure how I missed that lol.
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

thank you all so much for your info. I really appreciate it. I am a fairly decent welder but I will head over to the other website and see what he wants for a set.
    Thanks again
    Phillip

Ball joint flip will do nothing for your CV boot problem however it will make alignments easier. I wrote a how-to for the ball joint flip many moons ago but can't seem to find it any longer.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I can still get Welder Guy to do the mods. The cost will be $250 but it includes the crossmember drop brackets. Jo Darlington charges extra for those so be sure to factor that in. I used to charge $200 but was just losing too much money after shipping.

Now for the bad news. I don't have any differential brackets to modify at the moment. I've only got 3 sets and they are all out right now & I'm waiting for the originals to be sent back. I may have a lead on as set though so I'll let you know.

The installation instructions with pictures can be found here:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...c&daysprune=-1

You were actually about 1/2 way there whenever you removed your axles.

Here's a pic of the 2nd set that Welder Guy made (cleaner now because he grinds all the welds smooth):

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...08/ppuser/2699

& here's the first set installed on mine:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...33/ppuser/2699

Another thing to consider is that this summer, RCV Performance will have replacement half shafts available for us that will also fix the CV problems. I should be testing out the first one this month (only the drivers side though (this is why: http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...76/ppuser/2699)). They will be selling the set (both sides) for $1800 which is less than buying OEM from Isuzu.

Tom
    Last edited by tom4bren : 03/03/2011 at 02:49 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Another thing to consider is that this summer, RCV Performance will have replacement half shafts available for us that will also fix the CV problems. I should be testing out the first one this month (only the drivers side though (this is why: http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...76/ppuser/2699)). They will be selling the set (both sides) for $1800 which is less than buying OEM from Isuzu.

Tom
    What will they fix about the cv problems? Take away the need to do a diff drop to save the cv's? That would be pretty awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    What will they fix about the cv problems? Take away the need to do a diff drop to save the cv's? That would be pretty awesome!
    $250 for a diff drop vs. $1800 for upgraded half shafts? I'm sure the new shaft design is probably the better answer, but is it 7X better?

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    $250 for a diff drop vs. $1800 for upgraded half shafts? I'm sure the new shaft design is probably the better answer, but is it 7X better?
    If you wheel hard the extra strength of the shafts and cv is well worth the extra coin...plus the knowledge that if you break it they replace it no questions asked is nice insurance also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    Bob,

RCV Performance has been making replacement axles for Toy-toters for years & their products are considered by most to be bullet proof.

Basically they completely re-engineer the entire half shaft to utilize a different CV set up. I haven't been able to figure out yet what is different about their CV design but hope to find out soon (when mine is delivered).

Tom