Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Beating on a VX.... Top ten things that would break?

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    I was reading on here about people shortening their bumpstops, are the stock ones not long enough to prevent fender damage?

I'm confused. Seems shortening (shaving) the bump stops would allow more suspension travel, making it more likely that tire would hit the wheel well or fender for over sized tires.

Perhaos there's something I'm not understanding.
    The rear bump stops on the VX are about 7"-8" long, in a figure "8" shape. But generally have ONLY about 1/2" clearance from the axle or cross member (or whatever it hits)...thus the VX slams into them at the slightest bump....which makes the extreme jarring sensation. Those of us that have cut them in half are indeed allowing for more suspension travel to make our ride more "tolerable".

You're correct, it makes it more likely the tire would hit something...so most off-roaders wouldn't want to do this I'm told. I don't know why they'd buy the shorter polyurethane stops either?
    I don't do extreme off-roading, so I was willing to make the sacrifice for the benefit of a better ride on my daily dirt roads. This upcoming Moab trip will be my first with the shorter stops....I'll know a lot better how it affects things after that trip.

Can see OEM rear bump stop here, black thing with the tan color on the bottom of it (that would be my desert dirt) on it. Pic was taken in my garage, so check out how there (WAS) virtually NO clearance on mine. Cut in half, I have about 3"- 4" now. Ahhhhh....much better! Just eliminates the SLAMMING effect in the rear, by no means do I have a smooth ride, even with the Ranchos set low.

Just an FYI, here's one of the front bumps stops (I believe there's 2 sets up front)...not much clearance there either.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Those are great pics!

Now the question is, how can I squeeze some of these in there to cushion the ride:

Quote Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
    Now the question is, how can I squeeze some of these in there to cushion the ride:
    spend mo' money

Quote Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
    Any objection to this pre-race mod list:

33" Tires: $900
    Rear HD Links: $300
    HD Tie rods: $250
    Comp 912 springs: $175
    1" Wheel Spacers: $120
    Fire Suit: $100
    Alignment: $75
    New Bushings: $30
    1" to 2" torsion crank: $0

Roughly $2k. Does that look like a decent initial strength build up plan? Anything I am leaving off that is more important?
    I wouldn't hit one of those races without at least one skid plate. And for sure on the bump stops - protect the tires and the body with them for cheap. Here is how I did mine:

After a few hits over a couple years the zinc coated plate bent a lil bit and I noticed a crack in the poly so it really needs a full plate to mount against.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Where did you get that bump stop?

Here's another question-

Is the risk to reward worth it for 33"s, or would it be better to go with 32"s?

33"s would be better clearance, better traction.

32"s would be easier on the VX components.

I need to be able to make it through the course (a la 33"s), but mechanically, I have to finish the race.

Thoughts? Essentially, I am test drive away from pulling the trigger. The problem is, there is not one for sale within 100 miles of me (Charlotte, NC).

Check out this thread: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ight=lift+wiki

The bump stops are from Energy Suspension and the part number is in that initial list - they also come in black. The poly adds some kick-back that the rubber didn't generate, but it is managable.

Since you are not planning on a regearing for a while I would advise the 32"s over 33"s for the lesser impact on performance. The leverage difference is not an issue in that range IMO. There is a weight difference that has more of an impact - in theory anyway. Acceleration, braking, and handling would be easier to deal with, with the lesser weight. I ran 32.3"s and BFG 33"s measure out at 32" so maybe it's not even a topic of concern. Tirerack.com has weights of all the tires they carry and may help you make a decision in that regard. A set of used 16" aluminum modular wheels can be found for a price similar to those spacers which would give you the offset you want and minimize weight gain.

Good luck with your search!

Front outer CV's will go pretty quickly with some stick off road, especially with the larger tyres. Also if your giving it alot with the larger tyres you have to think about wear to the auo box
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

In case your wondering the type of racing Redliner is wanting to race check out www.ecors.com. I have been running a 94 Rodeo in Class A and we ended up taking the series championship. Ended up 3rd for the season in Class B with a 99 Rodeo. During the 1st race of the 2011 season the Class A Isuzu lead most of the race, unfortunatly we had some overheating issues late in the race due to a hole in the radiator but still ended up with a 3rd place finish. The Isuzu's do well, just have to drive them smartly... I would love to see a VX out racing ECORS...