Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Here's My Astral

Well here is the current incarnation of my VX (nicknamed "Sally" as some said it looks like a salamander?)

With the old IPF rack (which is for sale)and the new Grabber AT2's

With the new Yak rack

What do you think? My goal is for near stock for ultimate reliability and fuel economy (hahahaha) but still capable and nifty looking. Only mods I still want are head unit, sliders, brighter lights, skid's (lighter than Kilby) possibly locked rear. After those things my VX will be perfect!

I've only had to add a quart of oil in 15k miles and other than that no other problem has surfaced
    Check out VehiCROSSAmerica on Facebook or @VehiXAmerica on Twitter

Nice
    Only thing I would do different is if you are going to do a locker Inquiring I'd go with the front...you've got an LSD in the rear.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Correction I meant front thanks Traithlete.

Dangit PCV and MAF need cleaning, got the rough idle and stall problem, it'll be good tomorrow though, when the air rushes in the problem solves itself until I slow down, nothing MAF cleaner and a new valve won't fix

Quote Originally Posted by Ala5ka View Post
    ...After those things my VX will be perfect!
    Still in stage 1 I see lol... trust me, it will never be "done"!

Cleaned pcv (not replaced), cleaned throttle body, and MAF. Used to idle at 2500rpm now steady at 850, easy fixes rock!

Cleaned pcv (not replaced), cleaned throttle body, and MAF. Used to idle at 2500rpm now steady at 850, easy fixes rock!
    Is idle of 850 in the "normal range"?
    Mine's been idling low, like 400-450, makes it a little rough, but it doesn't stall or anything.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Sue, 400-450 seems kind of low to me. Mine idles in the mid 700's once it's warmed up (I THINK that is the normal range).
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Mine sits right about 700 as well.
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    With the old IPF rack (which is for sale)
    I might be interested, do you have a price in mind?

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Idle of most mild to mid performance V-engines usually falls at around 750 rpm, give or take a few revs...whatever sounds good and doesn't mess with your auto trans lock-up is a good reference point!
    Vixer Fixer

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    ...Sorry, that is to say, if you have to stand on the brake to keep the car from creeping or if you have to feather the throttle to keep it running, it's not right...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Larson View Post
    ...Sorry, that is to say, if you have to stand on the brake to keep the car from creeping or if you have to feather the throttle to keep it running, it's not right...
    Haha yeah. Had another little scare today when I finished the project up and drove for a second and the check engine light came on followed by the 0122 code. Then I remembered that I keep the key on the "on" position while working on it to listen to NPR thus the throttle body, MAF, and accompanying sensors were disconnected while the VX was "conscious." Cleared the code, and drove some stop and go w/some highway, no problems. Check the throttle position sensor, associated cables and connections and all systems are a go. While I was under the hood I might have also gone ahead and detailed the engine compartment

VXorado for a fellow VX I'd take 50 bucks plus whatever shipping and packaging would be. That covers the Yakima mighty mounts alone It's an IPF aluminum rack, a prototype before IPF migrated to mainly lights and stuff. They were used as ARB's aluminum products manufacturer for a while. Not as sturdy as the Yak rack cause it flexes but weighs nothing and looks like it was made for the VX. No broken pieces, some minor scratches

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    VXorado for a fellow VX I'd take 50 bucks plus whatever shipping and packaging would be. That covers the Yakima mighty mounts alone It's an IPF aluminum rack, a prototype before IPF migrated to mainly lights and stuff. They were used as ARB's aluminum products manufacturer for a while. Not as sturdy as the Yak rack cause it flexes but weighs nothing and looks like it was made for the VX. No broken pieces, some minor scratches

Thats a great deal and I'll take it. Just let me know the total price with S&H... no rush if you're busy. My zip is 80241, thanks
    Last edited by VXorado : 11/29/2011 at 06:15 AM Reason: added zip

Our idle spec is 750 rpm when warm. It's totally controlled by the PCM and there's no way to mechanically adjust it. I'm guessing if you're more than 100 rpm out of spec there's something that needs attention. The PCM is trying to keep idle at 750. I'm not saying it's a huge problem. Sometimes these things are hard to track down and you may make it worse.

I just took this pic of mine a few minutes ago idling in park while warm. It's purring like a kitten at 750 rpm. If my engine with that many miles on it can idle correctly, then there's no reason why every other VX engine can't do the same.

Mark Griffin