Thread: Not Original VX Owner Roll Call

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well this is a long story. Grab a cup of coffee.

I remember back in the day reading about the VX in a car magazine while sitting in the waiting room at my tire store. This would be about 94 or 95, the Vx in the article was an Ebony prototype built for the Tokyo auto show. At this time I had an Isuzu Amigo in my driveway, which I purchased new in April 93. I read about how advanced the Vx was over the rest of the market. I was hooked when I learned about the limited production in the late 90's. However just like a lot of us in the beginning, I couldn't afford the $30K price tag. I purchased new vehicles in 93, 96, 99, & 02 (two this year, RIP 02 Toyota Tacoma). Even after all these new vehicle picked up over the years, the Vx didn't make it back into my want list till around 05.

I was raised to think that if buying a car, always buy new. That way you're not buying someone else's lemon or problem. Over the years now, I have changed my view on used vehicles. I love doing all the research into a new/used vehicle and with the internet and stuff like CarFax it is easier to know the background of a used vehicle. The last new vehicle that I purchased was in 02, since then everything has been used or lightly used.

Now back to the story, I bought the first Zu Amigo in 93 traded it in 96. I purchased another Zu Amigo (94) in 09 and had it for several years. Both of these vehicles I put 150K on them during the years. Over these years and mileage in the Amigo's, I started learning how to turn a wrench... This was important change; the first Amigo was always serviced by the dealer. The second Amigo was purchased with a blown motor (Rod thru the block), the 2.6L fuel injected motor was a good starting point for learning how to do a rebuild on a truck with one tire pointed to the local scrap yard. I had this Amigo in the driveway until in died in 11 with 266K on it.

Now back to the VX, I don't remember my trigger point in wanting a Vx in the driveway. I wanted more power in my 4x4. Going from I4 Amigo (150 Hp) to something with a V6. In 05 I also looked into the Rodeo, Amigo and Trooper from the 98 to 02 era. I spent the next two years doing research and reading ads for VX for sale. At this time in 08 my daughter was born, a Vx wouldn't make a good DD with a kid in a car seat. So back to the rear burner the Vx quest went for a year.

In late 08 I was bored on vacation in Mi and reading posting online (cars.com) in a coffee shop. I found the ad for our Vx, it was in rough condition (Interior & engine) sitting on a Ford lot in New Mexico. I talked to them a couple times over the next days and finally phoned in an offer at 60% of market value. They took it, gave me time to finish vacation, return to Colorado and make plans to go down to get it.

There is more of this story already posted in the Introduce yourself here! threads. I dont know how to do a link here yet.

I am the 3rd owner of our VX (previously in NM, TX) clean with no rust.
    I just recently purchased our 2nd VX project, however I don't have any CarFax history on it.

I didn't discover this wonderful site until 2011, I didn't spend that much time online before.

This may explain to you why my VX truly looks like no other....

And the obsession continues.
    Last edited by VxSport : 02/06/2013 at 08:38 AM

Life is better when you go Topless