Thread: Ordering a 220a HO alt

Ordering a 220a HO alt

I want to order this alt but the company simply has one for 'Isuzu' and when I called he hadn't heard of vehicross! Big surprise eh? Could I simply say it is for a '99 3.5 trooper/rodeo and would be basically the same?

our alternator is compatible with the one from troopers and acura SLX with a 3.5 motor... not sure about the rodeos

try contacting alterstart (www.alterstart.biz) i had one of their units and was happy with it until the regulator got damaged and it fried.. through no fault of the company

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

thanks much etl, I'll try that. I'm going to upgrade to 0 guage throughout so I'm sure there will be some surprises coming my way as far as the harness goes, I'm also expecting to have some grinding and shimming to do to fit a larger alt in there

i didnt need any modification to fit the alterstart alternator in mine. i did upgrade the battery-alternator wire to 0 gauge (with a fuse of course) and upgraded the battery-ground connection with 2 4gauge ground wires in addition to stock

one more piece of advice.. when you replace the alternator... get a ring conector that is as thin as possible. if you plan to re-use the existing alternator wiring plus the 0 gauge wire, its a tight fit with a ring terminal of any real thickness

Well I spoke to Alterstart today and they actually had the VX in their database
    I was given two options; send in my current unit to be rewound to 180a or they could build a 170a for $150 cheaper than the original 220a I was looking at (but without adjustable voltage regulator and 0 gauge leads). Alterstart also wanted $35 for the 0ga leads but insisted that it was way too overkill (isn't that the point) I already have 50 feet of 0ga and some batts for 4000watts c/a. What they might not of understood is that I really would prefer to be closer to 220-270amps. There seem to be plenty of 220amp units that would need some mod/fab work, I'm guessing that noone has ever done a dual-alt in a VX??