Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do you sleep when there is rapid gunfire out your window at 3 AM?

How do you sleep when there is rapid gunfire out your window at 3 AM?

Dub it wasn't you and that big gun was it? My wife , daughter and I jumped awake to 6 (I think) rapid succession shots just 1 or so houses away. I called 911. The police were quick to check the neighborhood. Nothing found. But it is unnerving to think some Idiot thought he would just unload for fun or something. Took me 45 minutes to settle my adrenalin down and get back to sleep.

You get used to it.

I used to live in a neighborhood where gunshots were heard 2 or 3 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    You get used to it.

And here is the problem. I will never get used to it. I have always lived in peaceful places. I once had a 50 acre farm in the Shenandoah Valley - we didn't even lock the door but I guess times are changing at least for me

When I lived in a small town in WV we would lock the front door when we weren't home to let people know we weren't home but leave the back door open in case they needed to borrow something.

Eb--- Perhaps you should be like your little Black Cat on your signature line, and just pop only the top-half of your head out of your foxhole. Stay safe, my friend.

Sure it wasn't firecrackers?
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    You get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezr View Post
    And here is the problem. I will never get used to it. I have always lived in peaceful places. I once had a 50 acre farm in the Shenandoah Valley - we didn't even lock the door but I guess times are changing at least for me
    We hear gunfire about 2-3 times a week where we currently live, which is why we're looking to move sometime in the next few months. We live on the bank of a 3-mile wide river, so we're pretty sure that it's just idiots firing out into the water at night for fun. Regardless, our area is bad enough that the police don't bother to check out gunfire, they just show up to remove the bodies.

We're actually looking at property in southwestern VA, probably less than two hours away from your farm. I grew up in rural NC so I know what you mean; the only times we heard gunfire were when people were hunting game rather than each other.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    How do you sleep?

... on the floor would be my first reaction.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

I'm so conditioned that I just hit pause on the TV, make sure the door is locked, then go sit back down and hope it goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Eb--- Perhaps you should be like your little Black Cat on your signature line, and just pop only the top-half of your head out of your foxhole. Stay safe, my friend.

I held the little black cat up to the window to look for me first..

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    Sure it wasn't firecrackers?
    Not. I know the difference.

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Out here in the boondocks, the only gunfire I hear is my own! Ok, that's not completely true. In the fall, I hear grouse hunters and deer hunters off in the distance. And then there's those bear hunters...
    Vixer Fixer

I have miles of swamp land behind my house which we own but idiots decide that they own it as well -.- and we hear gunfire commonly sometimes twice a day for days on end. One time someone got back there with a fully automatic weapon and fired off at least 200 rounds at about 8AM my neighbors called the police and they said they couldn't do anything about it cause they cant go down into that swamp lol I sometimes take my oversized potato cannon and duck tape the end and overload it with the propellant and fire that off a few times (Man that thing is loud) and sometimes the people stop shooting I guess cause they think their being shot at. But on other occasions I will be daring and fire my .308 (pointed down of course to be sure not to accidentally hit anyone) and they almost always stop.

When that happens to me I just grab my Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40watt range and level a few nearby trees. Usually does the trick.

I hear gun fire all the time (during daylight hours). But living across the road from an out door gun range might have something to do with that LOL. At my last place I used to hate July 4th. Never knew if it was fireworks or gun shots. Either would have been normal. If you had to go somewhere you just ran out the door ducking and covering just in case.
    --Dave

Well it sounds like some of you have it worse than me and I should stop my pitty party. Osteomata where can I get one of those.