Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: An actual bumper for the VX!!

what ever happened to this build?

In keeping with our small community, no one was willing to pony up the bucks needed to make this happen. So it sits shelved pending funding. When i get back from deployment this fall, I will be getting a plasma cutter and a nice Lincoln welder, so I will actually be able to do this project on my own and make it pretty

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I look forward to what he does for the bumper project, and he will probably need to start a new thread when it gets serious. You guys can't seem to focus worth a ****
    In keeping with our small community, no one was willing to pony up the bucks needed to make this happen.
    I didn't think the project got to that point. I was following this thread, waiting for a new thread with a rendering or finished project.

I'm still be interested in an ARB style bumper assuming it can mount up to my body lifted VX and would be willing to pay around $500.

500 bucks isnt even close...the materials alone are pushing that cost. Figure 40 hours of time to fully protoype one, and sell maybe 4 or 5. They would be sitting in the 1500 dollar range for a line matching bumper. That would inlcude a winch mount and a pair of shackles welded on the front and would follow the lines of the OEM bumper cover.

I know this is off topic but whered you get your Bumper in your signature

Quote Originally Posted by SouthJ1 View Post
    I know this is off topic but whered you get your Bumper in your signature
    *sigh*, long story short, that was my first fabricating project. I bought some harbor freight junk, taught myself to arc weld in my garage. That was the end result. I made a second version that is still currently mounted on my truck, there should be some good pics in my gallery. A bit more subtle, I definitely liked the one in my sig better.

I really like the one in your sig. it looks like you have a place for a winch in that thing too

500 bucks isnt even close...the materials alone are pushing that cost. Figure 40 hours of time to fully protoype one, and sell maybe 4 or 5. They would be sitting in the 1500 dollar range for a line matching bumper. That would inlcude a winch mount and a pair of shackles welded on the front and would follow the lines of the OEM bumper cover.
    Maybe we have different bumpers in mind... I'm thinking of something fairly simple like Orion's with a winch mount built onto it. If you're thinking about replacing the entire cladding with a full metal bumper then I could pay the $1500 pricetag . That would be difficult to match the headlights & fender cladding to a metal bumper but could look great... its just hard to picture .

I don't mind building something simple myself but also don't mind paying for something that is complex & unique.

Joe wanted to build one with that road armor look. Several angled plates, shaped to follow the overall lines of the front cladding, as a replacement for the cladding. It would fill in all the gaps, just like the plastic, only be 1/8 and 1/4 plate

As for my old one having a winch mount, I went with a receiver instead. It allowed me to move a winch from front to rear via the hitch. I have never needed a winch

Joe wanted to build one with that road armor look. Several angled plates, shaped to follow the overall lines of the front cladding, as a replacement for the cladding. It would fill in all the gaps, just like the plastic, only be 1/8 and 1/4 plate
    Definitely keep me updated once you're back & building. I'll probably build some type of winch bumper/carrier this Spring just to have it for the solo trips. I would be happy to replace it with an armor plated Mad Max bumper

I definitely liked the one in my sig better.
    x2 - Pics don't do it justice.

So whatever happened to it? You say that like you threw it in a dumpster...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    x2 - Pics don't do it justice.

So whatever happened to it? You say that like you threw it in a dumpster...
    I believe it was purchased for thirteen MEELION dollars, & is now on display @ the "Isuzu Smithsonian"...

The Front Winch Bumper for the VX got moved down on the priority list, there seemed to be more interest in VX cupholders than a bumper... If there is real interest in a "ARB/Road Armor" style bumper, I will move it upon the list of things to build and produce a prototype bumper in the near future.

I am retired military now and I supplement my retirement income building products for Isuzu's, don't really want to be spending $500+ on materials, not to include the labor and time building/developing a product that no one intends to buy... This happened over on Planetisuzoo/4x4 Wire, a bunch of people wanted rear steel bumpers for the newer Rodeo's. Then I spent the time and expense to produce a really nice rear bumper and needless to say, all the people that said they would buy one, didn't. It took 2 years to sell the first one and fortunatly since then I have sold quite a few.

If people are serious about wanting a Front Winch Bumper for the VX, then speak up so I can guage the real interest for the bumper.

There has also been mention of reproducing the front bumper reinforcement bar that goes behind the front bumper cladding, if this is something that is wanted also I could look into reproducing that also...

Thumbs up

Hi Joe!
    I really need a replacement for the front bumper supports as mine rusted off a while ago. I wish I lived a bit closer to you so that we could brainstorm over a few beverages, but 15 hours one way is a bit much.
    I have always likes these types of bumpers on jeeps, and wonder if there is a way to tie in (or replace) the bumper supports with something like this without doing away with too much of the front cladding.

I will have to plan a weekend road trip to see you and go over some options...
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Hi Joe, I got your e-mail...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Darlington View Post
    If people are serious about wanting a Front Winch Bumper for the VX, then speak up so I can guage the real interest for the bumper.
    Obviously as per my mail I am seriously interested, my ML320 "brush guard" maxes out at skateboard and cyclist deflection !!

I'd be looking for an ARB style..WITHOUT winch.
    I'd prefer a tow ball receiver in front as I intend to use a plate mounted winch that can be employed fore and aft as required.

How many orders would you need, what kind of price...and what would be the timeline.

I see no point in doing another one off ( as per my ML320 mod) for myself...
    ... if you are on it!

Having said that, I'm looking at may (Moab) as a deadline....and I worry about shipping costs.
    Perhaps a modular/semi built "kit" that is easier/cheaper to ship....
    ...but can easily be welded together after shipping might be a good plan?

Thanks mate...

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]