Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Front skid- pics of lower attachment points

IDEA!!! Ding Ding Ding Ding!

Tried getting the lower front skid bolts in...no luck yet...BUT, had a brainstorm while lying there staring at it!

Forget using the existing holes completely!

~Drill completely NEW holes in the FLAT section of the skid, right next to the the raised area where the current hole is. Then also make a new hole into the cladding in direct alignment. Note in this area how the plate AND the cladding are very close together...will be so easy to drill new holes there.
    (Suggestions for pilot hole size or technique on this ABS plate??)

~They're about 3" - 4" away from the original holes.

~There's some room behind that area of cladding so I can easily get a washer and a nut on, OR

~Buy some "retaining clips" (just like the two in the license plate area hold the top of the skid in place.) Slid it over the bottom edge of the cladding.

~These clips give the screw some threads to hang on to, and spread the forces out over the clip, making it maybe a bit stronger (?)

~There's 3 flat sections along the bottom of the skid, put a screw/clip/nut in each one. Plate will have a total of 5 screws now instead of 4.

WILL IT WORK???? Thoughts??

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Sue - check your PM.

Sue, think what ever one is saying must be so, the bracket is bent. I also had somewhat of a time with mine (one of Ron's). What I have done in the past, is just start the bottom two bolts to hold everthing in place, then pressing in the center with the knee, the curvature would open up enough to get the license plate bolts started, then tighten them evenly. Have it warmed up to make it more supple. That said, I think maybe bring the bracket forward will help, but try this before you go to the trouble of taking the front cladding off.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.