Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rear skid plate and curt hitch

rear skid plate and curt hitch

Anyone have a Curt hitch and one of Ron's rear skid plate on their VX. Trying to figure out if it needs to be notched to fit and how much to take off.

I found some pics a while ago, think the first is johnnyapollo's, and other is Navistar's.
    Is this what yours will look like, or more like mine in the last 2 pics and 2 thumbnails?

Last edited by VX KAT : 04/21/2011 at 12:14 PM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    This is the one that he's asking about so I assume he's concerned that the skid plate will have to be notched where the hitch attaches to the frame.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

skidplate and hitch

If the two pictures right above your vehicle are navistars I think that is a Curt like mine.
    I am going to try and e mail navistar.

In your big pictures it looks like you couldn't open the back door without hitting the skid plate. Did you then refit? Did you just need to make cut out bigger or did you need to cut down the piece that sort of wraps around under the cladding?

I think she took those pix before the skid was actually mounted (just resting on the hitch).

Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    If the two pictures right above your vehicle are navistars I think that is a Curt like mine.
    I am going to try and e mail navistar.

In your big pictures it looks like you couldn't open the back door without hitting the skid plate. Did you then refit? Did you just need to make cut out bigger or did you need to cut down the piece that sort of wraps around under the cladding?
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I think she took those pix before the skid was actually mounted (just resting on the hitch).
    Yeah, sorry, I took those before I'd pushed it all the way down. It clears the door. I just uploaded some newer ones, with the skid in it's proper place, but still not mounted.

See why I didn't understand your PM last week about "the pin goes underneath, skid is on top"....I was talking Tone style hitch, you were thinking I had a Curt type hitch. Now it's all clear.

Last edited by VX KAT : 04/21/2011 at 03:36 PM

time to bring back an old thread!
    where do I get one of rons skid plates and how much are they?
    sorry new here.

Plates

As far as I know the only one that makes them is "Rowhard" and I just heard from him 2 days ago.. Unfortunately He is not making them now..
    If you find another source, I am game to get Front and back....

Lets keep looking....

Quote Originally Posted by VX-Man View Post
    As far as I know the only one that makes them is "Rowhard" and I just heard from him 2 days ago.. Unfortunately He is not making them now..
    If you find another source, I am game to get Front and back....

Lets keep looking....
    Quote Originally Posted by longiotti View Post
    time to bring back an old thread!
    where do I get one of rons skid plates and how much are they?
    sorry new here.

Some background info on these plates…"Ron" doesn't make the plates at all anymore. There's a difference in the material used to make them between the ones made by Ron and Rowhard.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14565

really don't want to make mine own but I may have too.
    are you guys just using the curts tow package? I am afraid it is going to hang down too much. what do you guys think?

You'll find opinions are divided with some (tom4bren) claiming the Curt looks like a "dirty diaper" because it hangs down so low, while proponents will tell you it makes a nice safety net for your rear cladding when you go crawling. Personally I prefer the Tone / tom4bren hitch design that brings the receiver box out through the bottom of the lower cladding. Looks much more OEM IMHO. Here's a link, and like all things VX, be prepared to wait in line.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22642

The wait on the hidden hitch may not be too long. I plan on final test fit this Friday & then turn on Welder Guy to start making them.

Quote Originally Posted by longiotti View Post
    really don't want to make mine own but I may have too.
    are you guys just using the curts tow package? I am afraid it is going to hang down too much. what do you guys think?
    there's a ton of info on this subject and the skid plates. Use the search function and you'll find many threads discussing it, How-To's, and a ton of pictures of installs. It really is worth your time to search and read past threads, they have so much info you'll be glad you did. Plus they mention other topics and you'll end up getting other info.

Just for reference, here's a link to 2 other VXers with front skid plates "custom made". May get some input from Silver Bullet. ALC had his made by somebody else.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23921

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...00&ppuser=4590

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    The wait on the hidden hitch may not be too long. I plan on final test fit this Friday & then turn on Welder Guy to start making them.
    I heard that in 2011...

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    there's a ton of info on this subject and the skid plates. Use the search function and you'll find many threads discussing it, How-To's, and a ton of pictures of installs. It really is worth your time to search and read past threads, they have so much info you'll be glad you did. Plus they mention other topics and you'll end up getting other info.

Just for reference, here's a link to 2 other VXers with front skid plates "custom made". May get some input from Silver Bullet. ALC had his made by somebody else.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23921

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...00&ppuser=4590
    I know. thank you for helping me out. I felt like I was going in circles when using the search feature. either too many things were coming up or they were very old with hardly any updates.
    I was trying to use a thread that was already created instead of making my own. thank you for your help