Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: OSB...DEAD as fried chick'n...body in US hands...SWEET!

This guy dying is akin to the breakup of the USSR or the Berlin Wall for some people. He wanted to be a symbol, bigger than a human being, well, he got it. He became an archetype of fear and oppression and to rejoice in something like that being gone is A-OK in my book..
    This is were I have an issue. I have several uncles (all now deceased) who served in WWII. My father (also deceased) climbed into a B-17 and flew 35 missions over Europe. My brother served 30 years in the USAF, retiring as a Full Colonel. I never served as there was this Vietnam thing I (and my father) disagreed with, but I declined an Academy appointment and acted against that war.

There is a famous picture of an East German Border Guard jumping the barricades for freedom during the cold war.

There was no celebration of Hitler's death that I know of. There was a celebration of the end of the war. We aren't there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    I never gave my own opinion on the matter just posted a fact about the page. Wiki is unreliable at times and especially after seeing such a recent edit. Logically assuming, you could have had a potential greater impact if that link was omitted and you kept the other six. Did that sink in?
    You can check the edit history to see what was changed.

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    A quote from Clarence Darorow

Darrow is mostly now famous as the proto protagonist of "Inherit the Wind". He was more or less the lead attorney in the Scopes Monkey trial.
    Nice one. Oddly, there is one that is being passed around now that is a paraphrased version of this and another being attributed to Mark Twain. Hahaha.

Good find.

Sorry if it felt I was attacking you rsteinmetz. It's not that way at all. It's just like some people have grammar nazi issues... I get all up in a tizzy about quotes and chain mails. Hahhaa.
    macintosh man

Quote Originally Posted by technocoy View Post
    It sank in that either way the Wiki post is correct? Not sure of your sway. It's correct as are the ones following it as was my religious studies professor in college as were my anthropology books. It's customary to bury the body as soon as possible, preferably within a day, even better if before sunset.

Like I said I never gave my opinion on the matter so the references used to validate your points/posts/info are not needed. At this time you do not know where I stand on the matter.

On the topic of bigger more widely known subject matter, wiki is generally very reliable. It's when you get into more obscure things such as biographical posts, allegorical bits and historical references that it can sometimes be inconsistent..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moringa_oleifera

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

There was no celebration of Hitler's death that I know of. There was a celebration of the end of the war. We aren't there yet.
    Seems SOMEONE was kinda glad to see him go...

Nice one. Oddly, there is one that is being passed around now that is a paraphrased version of this and another being attributed to Mark Twain. Hahaha.

Good find.

Sorry if it felt I was attacking you rsteinmetz. It's not that way at all. It's just like some people have grammar nazi issues... I get all up in a tizzy about quotes and chain mails. Hahhaa.
    No Problem, I Appreciate the correction.

As I looked into it I found that as well. I always liked "Inherit the Wind" since some of the dialog was drawn from the actual trial transcript.

This is were I have an issue. I have several uncles (all now deceased) who served in WWII. My father (also deceased) climbed into a B-17 and flew 35 missions over Europe. My brother served 30 years in the USAF, retiring as a Full Colonel. I never served as there was this Vietnam thing I (and my father) disagreed with, but I declined an Academy appointment and acted against that war.

There is a famous picture of an East German Border Guard jumping the barricades for freedom during the cold war.

I'm thinking there was probably some celebration at the word of Hitler's death.

I have so many family and friends who felt the exact same way about the Vietnam war. The sad thing about that was there was never even a real "Mission Accomplished" It should have been a great lesson on the difficulty of guerilla warfare, but sadly it's had some of the same mistakes repeated this time around.

I think with the difference in the type of war we are fighting here Bin Laden's death IS a celebratory marker for some. We never will "win" this war. This is basically an ongoing campaign, similar to the columbian drug trade and our continuing "war" on drugs. It's too nebulous to have a definitive end. In the majority of people's minds this man himself might as well have killed those people that day. He's messianic to his follows, they are an extension of him. When we went to war, his ideology was what we were fighting. So to see him dead, in a lot of folks minds, is the biggest victory we'll get to see for some time.

You can check the edit history to see what was changed.
    Great info.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Seems SOMEONE was kinda glad to see him go...

I never said that people weren't happy/gratified. I said there was no celebration.

One of the things that sets the Victory in WII apart is that at the end of most wars the soldiers find out their government lied about how. bad the enemy was. At the end of WW II the soldiers found out the government's story was not bad enough.

Like I said I never gave my opinion on the matter so the references used to validate your points/posts/info are not needed. At this time you do not know where I stand on the matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moringa_oleifera

ummm... ok. That's cool, as I'm not even sure what we're debating at this point. You pointed out a part of my original post as though it somehow invalidated my stance. I posted in response. Somehow it became about you and your position. I'm just arguing my use of the wiki article along with several other links that were put in to counter point an entirely different conversation with someone else.

Thanks for the banter though.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Allrighty then fellers...

This old man gonna go...

Try N get it all hammered out before dawn, OK?...

You took my simple initial post as an attack with a pre-assumed motive. It was simply to state that hey, this link has been edited in the recent hours and at a time of possible higher traffic. Since you got mildly worked-up about it to reply some 4-5 pages later, move on!

I never said that people weren't happy/gratified. I said there was no celebration.

One of the things that sets the Victory in WII apart is that at the end of most wars the soldiers find out their government lied about how. bad the enemy was. At the end of WW II the soldiers found out the government's story was not bad enough.
    For the most part this is true. The thing is that the war and Hitler's death were kinda both happening (as far as media could report it) kinda at the same time. Within days of Hitler's death (which wasn't confirmed immediately) the bulk of the war in Europe was quickly ending to many celebrations. You can find many new articles proclaiming Germany's failure and the death of Hitler in the same piece. The biggest holdout was of course the tenacious Japan, who surrendered quickly after Big Boy and Fat Man fell on Nagasaki and Hiroshima later that year. I believe August.

Hitler was dead on the last of April I believe and the end of major warfare in Europe was declared on May 8th. So, really kinda one in the same.

I only wish the same would be true this time around. I'd love to see all our people home... We could employ them all to guard the border. I mean, we could make a human fence of soldiers, set up hotdog and lemonade stands and let our boys relax for a change. J/K, kinda....

Later Dub. It was fun ;-)

You took my simple initial post as an attack with a pre-assumed motive. It was simply to state that hey, this link has been edited in the recent hours and at a time of possible higher traffic. Since you got mildly worked-up about it to reply some 4-5 pages later, move on!
    I refuse! Here's one more post in reply to your post!!!