Thread: got my monitor, need help

got my monitor, need help

Hey to all the happy VX'ers !

I have gotten my monitor today and I really like it, but I have no clue on how to attach it. It doest fit inside the dash so I have decided to place it right on to of the head unit and the middle vents.

I will take out the vents and the head unit and I will need to make some type of bracket to hold the monitor but I dont have a good idea of how to do it. I was wondering If you guys might have any suggestions.

Here is the back of monitor:

I was also wondering how to wire the power. The monitor uses 12V. It came with a AC transformer. I was wondering if I can juist cut the transformer off and atach the two wires directly to power and ground but which one of them is power and which would be ground I am not sure >??? Anyone has a clue?

If you guys can help me with my project I would highly appreciate it!
    Ironman

I tried inserting the images by clicking the img button but all came up are the lionks, I wonder why ??? Lookis like you guys gonna have to click in. Sorry.

I would appreciate any hjelp or ideas. Thanks

99 White, 99 Astral Silver, 01 Kaiser Silver
    The voltage from the alternator runs between 12v-14v... Does that sticker on the back of your monitor list what voltage range the monitor itself can handle?

You probably can get away with tapping your monitor into the 12v running from your computer's PS. That voltage is regulated and clean. Thats what I did with my display.

Is that a datalux monitor? Didja get it off ebay?

What did you decide about powering your machine from the VX? a DC-DC PS or inverter?

As far as mounting.. You can do several things. This is what I would recommend and samiliar to how I did mine:

Take apart the display from the case. Chop the case up so you have enough left of that nice factory bevel that goes around the screen, and the holes that are used to mount the LCD module/inverter/etc to the interior of the case. Cut out the factory dash area to overlap with the chopped up display case. Epoxy the LCD casing to the backside of the factory dash. Then fiberglass between the two, bondo, sand, etc. You probably can just get away with bondo.

Now you can just screw the actual LCD module to the back of the factory dash, where the original holes in the casing were.

This may or may not work depending on how the unit is assembled internally but this is how i did mine.

When I was first working out possible solutions in mounting a different type of LCD module in where the stereo is, I was considering on just purchasing a few generic stereo installation kits and using the pieces from that.

Try not to install these type of components with the assumption you won't need access to them semi-often. Though I've only had to take out my screen twice for some backlight inverter mods, I've taken out the CPU at least 20-25 times already. Of course, being in a one year timespan thats not terribly bad.
    Last edited by Whaleboy : 09/19/2003 at 04:40 PM
    Brian Cozzens - Art Director
    Borderlands / Aliens: Colonial Marines
    www.gearboxsoftware.com

Thanks for the suggestion. I am using a dc-ac inverter for the cpu. I will try to hook up the monitor directly. As far as a place for it, the monitor is alot bigger than the space in the dash. What I was thinking about is to take the stereo head unit out and to screw the monitor over that area using some custom made bares attached to what ever was holding the factory stereo. What do yuo think? Thanks for you opinion.

Lightbulb

To get your pics to show you must right click on the pic. Then click on properties. Then copy the http address and paste it into the img line. Like this...
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)