First thanks for the condolences and positive mojo coming my way! I tore into it as soon as I got home so have not been able to check the site for a few days.
Now I am the newbie so I take no offense to you all laughing and learning from my mistakes (they are numerous and significant!)

So... I was doing something I should not have been doing in 4H. We had finished all the demanding stuff on the trail and I switched out of 4L to have some fun Kirks way! (For those who have not been out with him he likes to floor the gas every chance he gets!) We came across an obstacle and those famous last words came out of my mouth..."I can do that" I tore into it and forgot to switch back to 4L I had the front wheels up when I switched to 4L. Should have backed down put it in 4L and started again. I was deep into the gas pedal when I am guessing the 4L actually engaged and it engaged with a BANG! Literally. It was getting late so Dave and I wasted no time tearing off my skid plates (freshly painted ) and disconnecting the drive shafts. Gil and Cece were life savers and towed me back to the stoop. This is where the great meeting of the minds took place Because the grinding, popping and jerking stopped when we disconnected the drive shafts the problem must be transfer case! Getting home Sunday was a must for work so I made a call to my big bro who came through with his diesel truck and a trailer. Made it home with no problems. Dove in head first tearing my beautiful VX apart top to bottom and actually got the transfer case out in about 6 or 7 hours. Not bad considering I had no idea what I was doing. I set it on the bench and spun the flanges which connect to the drive shafts and.... it was smooth as silk! WHAT THE!! I made a few calls to a mechanic friend who offered to come over and take a look. While waiting I decided to check the differentials. Opened the drain plug on the rear put a magnet in...all good. Got under the front put the magnet in and...metal bits, pieces, parts everywhere Yep took the whole transfer case out and it was the front diff that gave out.

So now its a race to find a new front diff. Oh yeah and put the transfer case back in!

It was great getting to know everyone on the stoop and on the trail.
Thanks to Gil Cece Dave Mark Joe Dub Jack Steve Mike Craig and everyone else who helped get my VX home in almost one piece.

I had a great time! I will fix it and be back next year. For the stoop and the sticker!