Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Redid My Dash With Axiom Parts

Redid My Dash With Axiom Parts

wow. What a project. Let me start off by saying I don't have a lot of tools so this took 4 solid days. The vents are from a Cadillac Catera and the center piece is Axiom. I built the sides with 3/4 plastic mimicing the shape of the VX that's in some museum somewhere...someone posted a pic and I just had to have it. Well, here's my poor man's version of it.

I'm really sorry I didn't take pics for a "how-to" but once I got started I just kepyt going. I work in the news so time off is almost impossible. I had to get it sone with the few days off I could take.

I'll post more once it gets done.

finally figured out how to add pics. Someone asked for a better one.
    Last edited by xcelr8 : 04/15/2012 at 06:15 AM

Pretty cool lookin!

Does it lay over the dash in that area or did you cut out the original and press that in there?

I had to cut the top edge of our dash. I did it with a HUGE lump in my throat...I just couldn't settle for our dash. It looks like such an aftethought for such a cool looking vehicle.

Here's another (but crappy) pic

Looks nice! Is the gps/nav/radio unit functional? It seems like a pull from another car - an Axiom as well? I know that for some of those units you need a plug to the ECU for anti-theft deactivation. I'm talking about the LCD screen/radio.

Will you continue all the way across the dash?

So you lost the use of the 3 right-most buttons just to the right of the steering wheel? But you can still see the edge of them, looks like the new center thing was just put on top of them? Or is that where you had to cut to?

Good idea I think it needs more final touches maybe? How flush is it on the passenger side? Kinda looks like an after thought just slapped in there right now.

It will be interesting to see how flush you can make this look. Nice job so far..... More pictures?

as i said, tis not finished. there was an alarm button there, a defrost, emergency,a stupid blank and cruise. The defrost has joined the other defrost by emergency brake (where there was yet ANOTHER stupid blank). The alarm light will be poking out of the top center of the Axiom piece (there's a stock hole for it).

So I retained the emergency button and the cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    Looks nice! Is the gps/nav/radio unit functional? It seems like a pull from another car - an Axiom as well? I know that for some of those units you need a plug to the ECU for anti-theft deactivation. I'm talking about the LCD screen/radio.

Will you continue all the way across the dash?
    This unit is for a Corolla (it has orange lights to match ours. BTW, I redid my AC lights in orange to match). I bought it new. I adpated a toyo harness and vilola.

NAV completely functional.

Could you share details on how you adapted the toyota harness for the corolla NAV? Is there a site or link that goes through what is necessary? I'm not familiar with working with these more advanced units.

Quote Originally Posted by xcelr8 View Post
    as i said, tis not finished. there was an alarm button there, a defrost, emergency,a stupid blank and cruise. The defrost has joined the other defrost by emergency brake (where there was yet ANOTHER stupid blank). The alarm light will be poking out of the top center of the Axiom piece (there's a stock hole for it).

So I retained the emergency button and the cruise.
    You could get the fuzzy hole blank switches from Marlin and you would instantly have 3 more factory blanks to the left of the steering wheel in a matter of days ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    Could you share details on how you adapted the toyota harness for the corolla NAV? Is there a site or link that goes through what is necessary? I'm not familiar with working with these more advanced units.

Very simple. You will need to ID our radio harness wires. Buy a corolla (or whatev) male harness on ebay for like 5. cut the plug off our harness. Match the wires (the ebay one will come marked). That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    You could get the fuzzy hole blank switches from Marlin and you would instantly have 3 more factory blanks to the left of the steering wheel in a matter of days ;-)
    I think staring at those blanks made me a little crazy. I mean, nothing sez "whoops! we don't need that stinking switch...what will we do?" Like a blank. Defrost looks awesome married with the other by e-brake.

Quote Originally Posted by xcelr8 View Post
    I think staring at those blanks made me a little crazy. I mean, nothing sez "whoops! we don't need that stinking switch...what will we do?" Like a blank. Defrost looks awesome married with the other by e-brake.
    Haha, yeah I know what you mean but the blanks are also perfect for those of us that are in need of more switches, it gives us the perfect ability to look stock but add aftermarket switches for aftermarket mods. For instance if you wanted foglights, or rear door popper, or ....... I was just trying to say that even loosing those 3 to the right of the steering wheel you could easily replace them if you need to in the future. Not sure if you needed them or not. I am going to work on wiring one of the blanks to work with my garage door opener.

Example of the fuzzy-hole replacement with switches in it

1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

xcelr8, I love it! Great idea and well done! Makes a guy/gal start to think.......Hmmmmmmm!