Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 99 w' FFD Electric Twin Fan setup

if the OEM set up

is operating as designed you should not need any extra help. I used to live in TX and now in the middle of the Mohave Desert and I never run hot even when it is 130 degrees outside. I would suggest checking the thermostat and having your radiator boiled out. I have a sports car that was always runninng just below red. I did the electric fan and was going to get it rodded but a good cooling guy took a measurement with a heat gun and found out it was not running hot it was an electrical part that was causing my gauge to read high as well as gas and speedometer
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Not sure why but my Vehicross has run hot but only sitting idle, with the AC and hot temperatures outside. Has never boiled over but the temp with get just below the H and stay there. Turning off the AC brings the temps down pretty quickly. New fan clutch made no change. Rodding out the radiator did not solve the issue. Thermostat was working properly but changed it anyway. Coolant flushed every year. 50/50 coolant water mixture. Ignoring the issue didn't solve it either. I had to try something different.

Got a call yesterday from the technician at FF Dynamics (the manufacturer of the fans and kit). After going through a number of VX related questions that checked out OK, he asked about the ambient temperatures I am seeing. He indicated that there was a mistake by the distributor and their folks and that an extreme kit should have shipped. The kit I received has 2 12" fans. The kit he indicated would be built and shipped to me today would be a single 17" fan with a slightly larger shroud that would flow 60% more air.

Should have it in hand early next week and will be installing right away. Will keep you posted on the results.

John
    John
    99 Silver VX

One more thought, has the water pump been changed? A buddy of mine replaced pretty much everything on his 300zx turbo and later found that the fins on the water pump had worn so much he just wasn't getting strong coolant flow

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    One more thought, has the water pump been changed? A buddy of mine replaced pretty much everything on his 300zx turbo and later found that the fins on the water pump had worn so much he just wasn't getting strong coolant flow
    I've heard that too but never knew anyone who'd actually experienced it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I've heard that too but never knew anyone who'd actually experienced it.
    well now you have... poor guy spent well over 1k on parts including radiator, hoses, thermostat, fan clutch, an elec fan for the condenser, and hours and hours spent replacing everything. was just about to remove the condenser and AC completely since its got Ttops anyway. decided to do the 60k service on it with timing belt and water pump, and found the water pump, afaik its been running well since then

Noticed mine getting hot stuck in traffic (someone landed a plane on the interstate - I was stuck in non-moving traffic for about an hour) - when it started getting in the "H" zone I turned off the AC and put on the heater - kept it from getting hotter but it was pretty miserable...

I've been due for a timing belt - right at 144K miles (did one at 70k) but wanted enough free time to pull everything apart. Guess I need to schedule it. I think I'm going to replace the hoses with silicone while I'm at it.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxVx View Post
    Not sure why but my Vehicross has run hot but only sitting idle, with the AC and hot temperatures outside. Has never boiled over but the temp with get just below the H and stay there. Turning off the AC brings the temps down pretty quickly. New fan clutch made no change. Rodding out the radiator did not solve the issue. Thermostat was working properly but changed it anyway. Coolant flushed every year. 50/50 coolant water mixture. Ignoring the issue didn't solve it either. I had to try something different.

Got a call yesterday from the technician at FF Dynamics (the manufacturer of the fans and kit). After going through a number of VX related questions that checked out OK, he asked about the ambient temperatures I am seeing. He indicated that there was a mistake by the distributor and their folks and that an extreme kit should have shipped. The kit I received has 2 12" fans. The kit he indicated would be built and shipped to me today would be a single 17" fan with a slightly larger shroud that would flow 60% more air.

Should have it in hand early next week and will be installing right away. Will keep you posted on the results.

John
    I have had a heating problem for awhile now. I removed the OEM fan and have a Plymouth voyager electric fan in mine, new radiator, new MAF and yet... I still get hot. So, the next step for me is a new water pump, then I will go with the thermostat. Going to to the thermostat last, as the engine heating is fine at all times, except when I have a strong pull on the engine for a long time (uphills in big heat) or stop and go and stop traffic.

I feel for ya.

It is past time to do the timing belt. Will repace the water pump at the same time and punish myself if I can tell the water pump was the cause of the overheating all along. T belt and water pump are getting to the top of the to do list.

John

Went ahead and did the timing belt and water pump this morning. I had forgotten how much fun it is.

Old water pump was not leaking and the impeller looks just like the new one I put in. Zero corrosion, vanes all there and in the right position. Off to work. Will likely be sitting in line and have the opportunity to do some testing. Not holding out a lot of hope since there appears to have been nothing wrong withh the old water pump.

John

One of the most overlooked part is radiator cap. That is most important part cause it keeps boiling point where it should be.
    I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus mashed potatoes and gravy!

Quote Originally Posted by BOARZHEAD View Post
    One of the most overlooked part is radiator cap. That is most important part cause it keeps boiling point where it should be.
    do they wear out or fail, how does it work?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

The spring inside weakens enabling coolant to boil at lower temps, causeing overheating

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    do they wear out or fail, how does it work?

Got the VX back together after a brief episode between me and a broken tensioner pivot bolt. The broken tensioner pivot bolt almost won.

FFD sent me a 17" fan setup with separate prewired controller and relay. Works like a charm. Sat in line for more than 20 minutes today, temperature was over 100 and the temperature gauge never moved from the half way point.

I know a number of you indicated that the design was sound and I should not have a problem with good OEM parts working properly. But I have struggled with the engine getting hot while sitting still for more than 10 minutes with the AC on in hot weather. Nothing took care of it. The single 17" extreme electric fan setup from FF Dynamics did it for me.

John

I have been off the board for a very long time and just got back on a few days back to seek help solving my EGR CEL code .

I wanted to update where I ended up with the FFD fan setup. It worked okay for about a month and then one of the relays failed while I was in line waiting to get back into the US. It was a nightmare, scalding hot and I was pi#@ed. Ended up with improvising a direct wiring setup of the fan to the battery as cars are honking at me for taking up one of four lanes on the international bridge.

Got home and called FFD and they took the setup back and refunded my money. Spent the money on an Isuzu fan clutch from Merlin and now many years and hot summers later, no overheating issues. A/C running all the time while sitting in line and the gauge never moves above halfway.

I now have 189K miles on the VX and couldn't be happier with the purchase made 12 years ago. Cost me $12K with 20K miles on it and I getting ready to pass it on to my daughter.