Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: About a hitch?

I planned on spending about 2 hours with Welder Guy on Friday (I had lotsa honey-do's that the rest of the day was scheduled for).

Instead, I spent about 9 hours in his shop. This is what we learnt:

Rural Virginia has lotsa 'good ol boys' stopping by throughout the day with beer in hand willing to "help".

Things behind the cladding are much tighter than I thought they were. Everytime that we adjusted the design to eliminate an interference, another came about. After about 6 iterations of the design, we think we have a viable product.

The cut out in your cladding (for the original Tone hitch) should still be correct.

The receiver will protrude approximately 1/2 inch further than the original. This should be a good thing though since some were having problems installing a locking hitch pin.

We may be able to retain the tube bumper but the tabs for the cladding bolts will have to be cut off. Of course, I already cut mine up thinking that we wouldn't be using it anymore.

We will lose both of the rear snatch points. Sorry ... you'll just hafta get a receiver Mr Scary Hook from Harbor Freight. The right side snatch point uses 3 bolts that we need to use. The left side only uses 1. Since we are going for strength on this design, 6 mounting bolt features are worth the loss of the shackles. We'll have 2 vertical bolts and 4 horizontal.

It will be made from 2" thick wall steel square tube. It's going to be heavy so shipping cost will be more.

Welder Guy will try to have the first prototype fully welded in a week. He's keeping the tacked version as a shop queen to use for comparison till the process is locked in.

I took some pix. I'll get them posted later today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

As promised:

Shows everything removed for installation.

Shows all that's left of the tube bumper (had to retain that part for side cladding bolts)

New hitch (just tack welded so far - spacing and angles later changed)

Hitch held in place with jack & cladding held on with 3 bolts.

Hitch without cladding. Right mounting plate missing (it was a BFH thang - you wouldn't understand).

Looking good.

how hard was it to remove the bolts that were holding the snatch/tie-down points?

17mm box end with a 2' piece of PVC for leverage.

It was suprisingly easy considering the age, mud and fine threads.

I just re-read your question & see there is more to it than I originally thought.

You CAN remove the one on the left (driver) side without removing the rear cladding. You MAY be able to remove the one on the right (passenger) side without removing the rear cladding but you'll have to be a contortionist.

Your original reply answered my question. However, that is good to know about having to remove the cladding.

I know I've been almost non-existent around this place lately (2 back to back 4-week accelerated summer courses will do that), but I surface every now and again with something to say...

...and I say I like this hitch. Sign me up for one as well, but in a little while -- I have the funds for either a hitch OR a roof rack at this point in time, but not both. If work ever gives me more hours, I'll pick up both...until then, I need to hold onto the extra play money I have, in case I find someone who is actually willing to sell me their rack.

Quote Originally Posted by MeowMix View Post
    ...and I say I like this hitch. Sign me up for one as well, but in a little while --
    No problemo.

The intent is to get the product designed & produceable right now. Welder Guy will fabricate as needed (neither of us have deep enough pockets to keep a large stock on hand). Summer is his busy time anyway. As the weather gets more worser, he'll have more time to fab stuff for us.

BTW, still looking for someone who is willing to loan me their brush guard mounting brackets for Welder Guy to copy.

About finding someone willing to sell you their awsome rack ... I have no response to that.

Talked to Welder Guy last night. He hasn't started fabricating the final hitch yet. He hopes to get to it later today. Will keep you posted.

OK, spent another 2 hours with Welder Guy last night. He's going to have to start over from scratch. We got the hitch tucked in as far as humanly possible (snug against fuel tank shield & frame crossmember). Still couldn't get the cladding to align properly.

Our fall back position is to change from 2" stock tubing with 1/4" wall thickness to 1 1/2" stock tubing with 1/4" wall thickness. This should NOT significantly decrease the strength since we are WAY overdesigning anyway. The main reason that we were trying not to go away from the 2" tubing is that is what he had on hand. He'll be picking up the new tubing and tack a new copy together ASAP. Poor guy had such confidence in the last design that he actually cut enough tubing for 3 hitches. His plasma cutter is FUBAR & his welder is acting up so that's slowing him down too.

Wierd: I've sheered off two of the 10mm bolts on the rear of the cladding. Not sure what that's all about. I've learnt to get the cladding off in 10 min flat. WooHoo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Wierd: I've sheered off two of the 10mm bolts on the rear of the cladding. Not sure what that's all about. I've learnt to get the cladding off in 10 min flat. WooHoo!!!
    Are you using a high speed air gun to remove the bolts "pit crew" style?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Are you using a high speed air gun to remove the bolts "pit crew" style?
    Nah, I'm old school - the gorilly approach.

Talked to Ron last night. He's got the materials for the next build but his plasma cutter is still FUBAR (replacement coming in from Cali early next week). He hopes to have the final prototype by the end of next week. Will keep you posted.

Tom

BTW, looks like the cost is going to come in around $250 by his latest estimates.

Thumbs up

Not bad, considering the "over-engineering" factor with custom nip'tuck fit. My VX currently has NO hitch. Tongue-weight & "flex" with the original Tone hitch has always been the showstopper (no fugly bar... haul w/fugly truck instead) & it's still a concern with 1.5" tubing (Class II?)... but this is an exciting prospect!

Question.. would ALL the tubing be 1.5"? Or just the main lateral support between frame rails? Thinking about re-use of existing 2" bars/balls, hooks & other implements we already have.

Like all here, I look forward to updates and the possibility of hauling with the VX soon!

All of the square tube will be 1.5". IIRC Ron said that it's 1/4" wall thickness so that's why I said that we are still well within the realm of 'designed by Max Headroom'. The receiver tube itself will of course NOT be 1.5".

Basically, to keep it all behind the cladding, the 2" tube will not fit without some very creative engineering/fabrication. The $$$ just don't make that practical (don't want to design something that nobody can afford). Besides, that creative fabrication would almost certainly have as much effect on structural integrity as switching to 1.5".

The problem lies with the curvature of the cladding and the location of the fuel tank shield. 2" stock could also be used if the fuel tank shield were modified but then it wouldn't be a bolt on modification. Again, designing something that couldn't be bolted on in the driveway was NOT an option (not everyone can drive from Azrizony to North Darkarta for a custom Ldub install).