Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: About a hitch?

P.S. If it's a big headache I can just drill the second hole after I buy it. I guess the important thing is to make sure the first hole is placed as to leave enough room for the second hole to be drilled.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    BTW, Welder Guy has already located the hole for the pin 1/2 inch farther outboard for youse people who really can't stand the idea of me getting any sleep so put on stoopid fiberglass bling stuff that gets in the way of using the hitch for what it's intended for.
    .....guess that would be Mav and I.....

stoopid is as stoopid does....hehe
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

mine had 28mm from the back of the hole to the collar....so if WelderGuy moved it more aft 1/2" for use goofballs....that probably means it would be really really tight to get another hole and still have some metal integrity....???

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    So why does a second hole for the J-pin compromise strength more than a second hole for a bolt? Is it because they're on different walls?
    It's more of an issue with the second hole being in line with the primary (pin) hole in the direction of the most significant force (draw weight). As long as there is at least 2x the wall thickness of the tube between the two holes, it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    P.S. If it's a big headache I can just drill the second hole after I buy it.
    You're taking me entirely too seriously ... but what's next, duzzit hafta be powder coated an exact match to foxfire???

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    stoopid is as stoopid does....hehe
    I have no response to that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

WooHoo!!!

Cladding now fits over the hitch. Need to drop it off to Welder Guy this week to finish her up (full welds, clean up, & paint).

Will keep you posted & add some pix next week (middle of week - gotsa run to Vermont on Monday for work).

No J pin hole yet, but we'll add that.

Prolly gonna mount the safety chain loops tucked under - harder to get to but cleaner look ... hope that's OK with everyone.

I'll try to get him to extend the mounting brackets down so that you can add a shakle on both sides if you wish. Feedback on hole for shakle???

Woohoo! Can't wait. If you're talking about a shackle (like d-link?) on each extreme end of the bracket for recovery, I personally think it's a GREAT idea... adds versatility, and you could always remove the shackle/link if you want. Thanks for the update Tom!

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Tom, are you talking about adding clevis shackle mounts like the ones pictured below?

Yah, dat's what I'm talkin 'bout.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...user/3558/sl/v

The mount for the clevis shackle is actually part of the bracket for the rear bumper under the cladding. 80% of that bumper is going away (including that mount). I'm not sure if there is any benefit on adding it to the drivers side since the tail pipe will be in the way for using it but I'm sure some would like the one on the passenger side.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Yah, dat's what I'm talkin 'bout.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...user/3558/sl/v

The mount for the clevis shackle is actually part of the bracket for the rear bumper under the cladding. 80% of that bumper is going away (including that mount). I'm not sure if there is any benefit on adding it to the drivers side since the tail pipe will be in the way for using it but I'm sure some would like the one on the passenger side.
    Sounds good to me and I think the single passenger side mount would be best.

As promised, here are a few pix of the hitch before it goes back to Welder Guy tomorrow.

When you see welder guy tomorrow, can you please get a final price? I think i read $250 somewhere but wasn't sure if that still stands.

Also, not sure if he's ready for orders but you can let him know Jon in CO thinks his design looks REAL good.

So whats going on with this build? Ill definatly be getting one of these when its complete

Quote Originally Posted by SouthJ1 View Post
    So whats going on with this build? Ill definatly be getting one of these when its complete
    slight t/j
    Hey, did you ever install your lambo doors?...been over a year, don't see any posts or pics....

Got a call from Welder Guy last night. He has 2 hitches tack welded together for me to fit check before he does full weld/finish/paint. Hope to pick them up tomorrow. If they both work out, he'll be able to put together a jig to start cranking them out. Will keep you posted.

Tom

Silly question, what is going the pull weight on it? what size is the square tubing 1/8 or 1/4?