Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: About a hitch?

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    The problem lies with the curvature of the cladding and the location of the fuel tank shield. 2" stock could also be used if the fuel tank shield were modified but then it wouldn't be a bolt on modification. Again, designing something that couldn't be bolted on in the driveway was NOT an option

(not everyone can drive from Azrizony to North Darkarta for a custom Ldub install).
    That was an absolutely wonderful fall trip...I highly recommend it!

About the hitch....as noted before, Dub couldn't get 3 of the bottom cladding bolts in after the hitch install...but when I had the rear skid plate installed, my mechanic did get the skid and cladding lined up and in the holes....
    I haven't noticed any bulging or embossing on the rear cladding from the hitch pressing on it...
    Apparently the hitch dimensions were close enough to allow it when it was forced with vice-grips...??
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Those cladding mounting holes are going to be relocated to the receiver tube since the tube bumper behind the cladding will either be modified or go away entirely. vt_mav will be the guinnea pig on the installation instructions (my tube bumper has already been cut up).

We won't know until the final design of the hitch if we'll have to include some spacers for the cladding bolts.

Sue, I think that your cladding alignment issue was related to some sharp corners on the hitch plate that needed to be knocked off. If we were going to continue with that design, I'd make sure that we fixed that problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Welder Guy's plasma cutter finally arrived last night. He plans on having the next copy tacked together before next Wednesday.

So when do you guys visit Natural Bridge?

Been a little while... any update worth mentioning on this project? I know many on the east and gulf coasts have been preoccupied with the weather lately.

I talked to Welder Guy earlier this week. He was Hoggin with freinds last week & I'm headed to Misssisssipppi next week. It'll probably be sometime close to the 23rd before we get to fit check the next (hopefully final) iteration.

Well, I stopped by Welder Guy's shop yesterday for a fit check with the 1.5 inch tube design & here's what happened:

Arrived at 1430 & shut off VX.

Went in shop to move stuff around so we could pull in the VX.

Tried to start the VX at about 1440 ... no juice from the Optima Yellow Top.

Hooked up a battery charger & left it for about 30 minutes.

Still no juice (even with the charger set to jump setting).

Made run to AutoZone for new battery - Optima was only putting out 2 Amps.

Got the new battery in at about 1615 (added Lucas to power steering res since it was below min).

VX started right up but too late to start removing rear cladding. Brought the hitch pieces home with me to fit check & mark up for final assembly.

I'll keep you posted.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Hey Tom, is welder guy interested selling the scrapped hitch? I know someone who might be interested

My frame is now under the rear bumper slightly so i would be interested in buying the old hitch (for a right price) if it fits okay without the cladding. Just a thought. I really like the design you guys have used because it will protect my gas tank in case of collision.

I'm not sure if he kept the scrap pieces or not (still hafta make the end plates though). I'll ask.

Sounds good, either way i'll be interested in one.

I fit checked the latest parts from Welder Guy on the hitch. It looks like it'll work. Now I just hafta get the parts back to him for finall assembly. He wants to add a gussett for strength since we went to 1/5" thick wall tubing. I'll keep you posted.

Tom

Any news on the hich? I'm finally doing some work on my VX and would like to have a hitch to install while it's apart.

for updates!

Hitch is at house ... waiting for me to get home from AZ for fit check. Hope to have update for you soon.

Looking forward to the fit check. I'll probably buy one as soon as you confirm they're ready.