Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: About a hitch?

Quote Originally Posted by jmayer40 View Post
    Silly question, what is going the pull weight on it? what size is the square tubing 1/8 or 1/4?
    Go back to posts # 70 & 75 of this thread for info on that (1 1/2" tubing with 1/4" wall thickness).

Draw weight was never an issue with the original hitch & the redesign will be even stronger. The weakness was in tongue weight capacity. By my seat-o-de pants weight capacity-o-meter, we'll have at least twice the load bearing capacity with this hitch.

The real magic is that the entire hitch is hidden behind the cladding except for the receiver tube so you're VX won't look like it's wearing a fully loaded diaper (Ref: the Kurt hitch design that hangs below the cladding).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I spent a couple of hours at Welder Guy's shop yesterday. Other than the loss of most of a knuckle to a grinder (his, not mine) things went well.

He had made a couple of manufacturability changes to the design & it still fits behind the cladding. He'll be finishing up the first 2 copies this week so that I can do the install on vt_mav's this coming Sunday. We'll take lotsa pix so that I can re-write the installation instructions for it.

We are going to start out with the price set at $260 (plus shipping) until he cranks out a few & then revisit to make sure that Ron isn't operating at a loss.

We've decided that we are not going to include the clevis mount in the basic design but include it as an option. That option will probably cost $30 but I'll wait to lock that in until we fab up a couple.

I'm going to keep this thread for technical issues and start a new thread for queue'ing purchases.

Next update will be 26 Mar after we get the first installed.

Tom

Still time for me to get you the measurements on those two pin holes before he finishes?

Yup.

The second hole may end up being beneficial to have in the basic design anyway.

You know how certain people have to add those bling things to their tail that just ends up getting in the way of the functional components.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Yup.

The second hole may end up being beneficial to have in the basic design anyway.

You know how certain people have to add those bling things to their tail that just ends up getting in the way of the functional components.
    whatever are you referring to?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I think he's mocking my Hokie Bird hitch cover.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I think he's mocking my Hokie Bird hitch cover.

I was jokin' mav....T4B knew when I ordered the WelderGuy hitch this was what I wanted it for.......although I ended up switching to the superbumper....so my purdy purple paw hitch cover is just a sittin' on a shelf.......

Yer both right ... & yer both wrong.

My feeble attempt at humor was directed at both Y'all but I was thinking about the skid plates that interfered with the hitch pin.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Yer both right ... & yer both wrong.

My feeble attempt at humor was directed at both Y'all but I was thinking about the skid plates that interfered with the hitch pin.
    ohhhh, now I get it......um....ouch....

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    ohhhh, now I get it......um....ouch....
    Nah - yer good. My failure at the art of humor is a long standing family joke.

Although sometimes I do have my moments. I have my youngest brother saying "I have no response to that" almost as much as I do.

Speaking of humor sometimes lost In translation...

Today's word is................. Fluctuations

I was at my bank today; there was a short line.

There was just one lady in front of me, an Asian lady who was trying to exchange yen for dollars.

It was obvious she was a little irritated . . . She asked the teller, "Why it change? Yesterday, I get two hunat dolla fo yen. Today I only get hunat eighty? Why it change?"

The teller shrugged his shoulders and said, "Fluctuations."

The Asian lady says, "Fluc you white people too"

<--- rimshot

-----------------

Speaking of hitches though, I had occasion to put the hitch that was on my VX when I bought it back on last weekend for towing a U-Haul 6'x12' enclosed trailer about 250 miles. It has a tubular crossbeam with uprights that bolt to the underside of the framerails. I can't remember what specific kind it was when I was buying the VX (Tone?, Dylan? Curt?), so does that configuration ring any bells? Relatively easy on and easy off, as it's already back in the corner once again collecting dust. Handy when needed though. And the special two-taillight wiring harness was relatively easy to install also. It was a Hopkins Towing #46155 harness with adapting circuit that has a new home in the drivers side storage compartment.

Not Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Speaking of humor sometimes lost In translation...

Today's word is................. Fluctuations

I was at my bank today; there was a short line.

There was just one lady in front of me, an Asian lady who was trying to exchange yen for dollars.

It was obvious she was a little irritated . . . She asked the teller, "Why it change? Yesterday, I get two hunat dolla fo yen. Today I only get hunat eighty? Why it change?"

The teller shrugged his shoulders and said, "Fluctuations."

The Asian lady says, "Fluc you white people too"

<--- rimshot

-----------------

Speaking of hitches though, I had occasion to put the hitch that was on my VX when I bought it back on last weekend for towing a U-Haul 6'x12' enclosed trailer about 250 miles. It has a tubular crossbeam with uprights that bolt to the underside of the framerails. I can't remember what specific kind it was when I was buying the VX (Tone?, Dylan? Curt?), so does that configuration ring any bells? Relatively easy on and easy off, as it's already back in the corner once again collecting dust. Handy when needed though. And the special two-taillight wiring harness was relatively easy to install also. It was a Hopkins Towing #46155 harness with adapting circuit that has a new home in the drivers side storage compartment.
    Curt has square beams
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

I'm supposed to pick up first 2 hitches tonight & install vt_mav's tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

And I'll be dropping off the nerf bar brackets with Tom...

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    If guys get a chance, take some pics after they're installed.