Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: overheating is back

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    Unless something has been modified, that won't do anything - the hood is solid metal underneath the insert.

Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    "Bill" from Ron Davis racing also told me this the other day:
    If you put a 2nd fan on the front side of the radiator, it blocks airflow and probably only about 30 percent of the airflow makes it through the radiator. Not a good choice.
    I've heard differing opinions on that one, Sue. We have members on this forum who have alleviated their overheating symptoms by installing a 2nd fan. My truck doesn't overheat at all with the fans on, so I'd be hard pressed to believe the add'l fan is causing an issue w/blockage. It only overheats when the a/c is on.

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    Unless something has been modified, that won't do anything - the hood is solid metal underneath the insert.
    Good to know. Guess I'll take the entire hood off

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Would a person have to account for some flex in the blades when they're turning? Taking their orientation into account, and the fact that they're plastic, it seems to me that once they start spinning, the act of cutting through the air would have them flexing "inward" toward the radiator. Do they appear to stick out of the shroud the same distance when the engine is running as they do when it's not?

I can see your point, when it's spinning it's pretty hard to estimate how far out those blades are.

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    I've heard differing opinions on that one, Sue. We have members on this forum who have alleviated their overheating symptoms by installing a 2nd fan. My truck doesn't overheat at all with the fans on, so I'd be hard pressed to believe the add'l fan is causing an issue w/blockage. It only overheats when the a/c is on.
    ...yeah, certainly adds to the confusion in trying to pinpoint a cause doesn't it...oh joy, sounds like fun times ahead....
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Just Power washed my rad.... couldn't believe how much crud came out!

My opinion is that the cooling system worked at one point in time. If it is no longer getting the job done, there is something in the system broke, clogged, etc that is preventing the system from working properly. There should be no "need" for custom fans and radiators...not that they are not nice and sometimes effective. Unfortunately finding the "broken" part can sometimes be a pita.

Think I found the culprit. A/C is spinning sllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwlllll llllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I'll be replacing that next week. Still wanting to chop up my hood, though

Quote Originally Posted by eternal21 View Post
    Think I found the culprit. A/C is spinning sllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwlllll llllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I'll be replacing that next week. Still wanting to chop up my hood, though
    How'd this work out for you?