Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Trailer project

I like the centercaps. Without looks unfinished.

That's what I was thinking
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

I weighed the ol' gal today, she weighs 820lbs without the wood and winch. If I go by the weight of the wood as listed online and the winch, I'll be looking at around 1250lbs when complete. Going to register it tomorrow

Been a bit since I posted an update. Got most of it done today, ran out of welding wire so I need to weld the rear channel that will hold the left side planks down as well as make the mount for the winch, weld my new jack and new safety chains on. I used some round tube and notched it out to sit the taillights in and welded those to the trailer frame for my bracket, everything is wired up and working great, just need to lay down the wood in the center up front and clean everything up a bit and she'll be finished for awhile (probably finish the center portion when I get back from picking up a Mustang this weekend). I loaded the Passport up and took it down the street, she rides great and everything works good. Had a bit of a scare during initial loading, seems the collar lock didn't latch all the way (even though it looked good and the front latch was locked in place) so when I started loading it on the trailer it popped off the hitch and the tongue went straight up :lol: Luckily nothing was damaged and I got it figured out real quick. Here are the pics of the progress:

Gawd, bout time you did something right! :P LOL
    Is the HP out of alignment again?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

lol HP, the Passport? No it's good

Quote Originally Posted by RamAirZ View Post
    ... so when I started loading it on the trailer it popped off the hitch and the tongue went straight up :lol: Luckily nothing was damaged and I got it figured out real quick.
    ROFL - reminds me of the time I loaded a dingo into a trailer hooked to the back of my TLC. Dang near lifted the rear TLC wheels off the ground. Didn't seem too dramatic from where I was at but Wifey was in front seat & said it was an 'interesting sensation'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

The center of gravity on the trailer looks REALLY high with the Honda up there. Just a thought....looks pretty good though for hauling cars and whatnot!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    The center of gravity on the trailer looks REALLY high with the Honda up there. Just a thought....looks pretty good though for hauling cars and whatnot!
    X2

Plus, you may want to play with the position of the Honda on the trailer. IMHO, looks like it makes the trailer tongue heavy which could cause fishtailing during hard braking situations.

LOL I just loaded it to make sure nothing broke and see how everything would sit, I would adjust it more when I actually start hauling stuff. Also the ground was very unlevel, you can look at the picture unloaded and the trailer looks like it is pointing tongue down. As for the high center of gravity, it's a lifted truck on a leaf spring trailer lol. The trailer sits about bumper level, maybe slightly lower, with my truck. Took it up to speed down the street on the highway in front of my house and she handled great, having the leaf springs help alot with the trailer movement. When I put the fenders and what not on the side it'll make it look lower, plus on the few occassions when I haul the Passport, drive normal, no need in taking turns at high speeds when hauling something. I think eventually, if I keep it long enough, I'll move the leaf spring mounts inboard and up, to bring the trailer down a bit but that'll be awhile before I do that
    Last edited by RamAirZ : 06/24/2011 at 08:24 AM

Just measured it, from the ground to the floor where the vehicle sits, 22".

Just made the maiden voyage, 700 mile roundtrip to pick up the Mustang:

Made the winch mount before we left and it worked great! When not in use I can up-clip it from the mount and lock it in my toolbox or garage (you can also see the new safety chains in the pic):

It even fit in the garage perfectly, locked it up last night because we got home late and didn't feel like unloading

Here's a pic of the winch setup and I also mounted my 7000lb trailer jack today!

That's sick!!!! Sorry if I missed it, but how much did you pick up the original trailer for? Cool project, love the winch on there!

Thanks man, I paid $300 for the trailer, and after the parts to fix it up and what not I have about $650 total into it. Made a few trips with the Passport on it with no issues, pulls great.