Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I'm getting over 18 mpg!

On the drive home from my initial purchase of my VX in December, I got 22mpg. I was following my dad in his work van dragging a trailer doing 62mph on cruise. I ran premium the whole way as well. If you don't mind driving slow, you can get OK gas mileage out of most vehicles

I average 13-14mpg in town (14.8 two tanks ago) depending on how I drive. My last tank I only got 11.7mpg, but I had my foot on the floor a lot

So I just finished making a 500 mile trip from Maryland to Kentucky. My first fill up I did the math and the results said 13.5, but I did notice some issues with my tire size.

The math on my tire size differance should have been only a 3% differance so I never bothered plugging that into my mileage calculations, but the differance is really 10% that made a dramatic change in mileage.

My second fill up I got 17.5 MPG and that was doing 70 MPH using cruise through the mountains. Needless to say I'm pleased with the results and feel like an idiot for not paying closer attention to the real world Differance my tire size made

When you say "tire size", it sounds as if you changed your tires prior to the 2nd fill up. Do you mean you adjusted your air pressure? And if so, are you running a stock rim/tire setup? What pressure did you end up adjusting to?

I used to regularly get 16 mpg in my rodeo if I just went to work and back. After adding the roof rack fairing to arc the air up over my roof basket and tire, I got 18 mpg the last 2 tanks. Got 24 and 21 mpg in the 2 fuel stops to Moab (had to make an extra stop because Jack couldnt make it all the way on 1 tank) and got 22 on the way back. I took it off today to see if it drops again but will probably put it back on tomorrow for the long highway run if I end up going to meet n greet in FoCo.
    --Dave

Cool

My VX is the only vehicle out of the 12 vehicles total I've owned that seems to get better fuel mileage as the outside temp goes up. Aside from the increase I get with summer blend...it does better in hotter weather. My all-time best mileage figures came on highway trips in 90 deg or hotter days. I got 22.5 mpg going to Vermont in 90+ temps & got 23 mpg going through the Mohave Desert on I15 headed to Las Vegas in 90+ temps. Typically I get 14.5 mpg in winter & 16.5 mpg in spring and early summer.

I am currenly trying to get my brakes to quit wearing prematurely on the caliper side (inside) pads. I just changed the brake pads again for the umteenth time to pass inspection with the outer pads like new and the inner pads shot on all four wheels. Dragging pads has got to be robbing me mpg even though it is totally not noticable when coasting. I'm not sure if its the caliper sliders "sticking" due to the dirt road I live on contaminating the silicone grease I use in the sliders or the calipers not backing off due to corrosion from highway salts? I either have to switch to a new type of grease for the sliders or try periodically (every 3-6 months) cleaning & re-lubing stuff. Also haven't ruled out replacing all the calipers. I also tried soaking the calipers while they were apart and sitting on top my rotors with PB Blaster. It has got to be a "rust-belt" thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?