Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting over 18 mpg!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm getting over 18 mpg!

I was averaging around 300 miles to a tank (15mpg) pretty much since I got the truck. Last week, I hit 362 miles before the fuel light came on. I was tempted to push it to see if I could get 19mpg, but due to other circumstances, it was deemed wise not to do that *lol*. Regardless, I was pretty pleased to see it happen. My truck is completely stock engine-wise. I haven't even changed the plugs since I bought it in Sept. of last year. The only thing I did before the mileage change was finally change the oil, and I went to my preferred brand, Royal Purple. Now, I'm not saying the RP change can be contributed to the mileage increase, but the before and after is a pretty strong indication that it had something to do with it.

On my 2nd fill up, I'm @ 125 miles and have gone through ~1/3 of a tank. Hopefully this is here to stay. I plan on changing the air filter and spark plugs in June, and today I'm installing an electric fan. At some point, I'd like to see 20mpg, even if it happens once.

Keep trying! Apparently it can be done....I got 22.5 MPG, all stock, on highway on my way to Moab the first time. I re-checked my numbers and it seemed to be accurate....
    Of course now I've added like a zillion lbs to the truck in mods, (steel skids, bigger tires) and am about to add 90 more lbs in steel rock sliders. Best I get now on highway is about 17.5.
    Check out this site: fuelly.com
    You can keep track of your fill ups/mileage and price.
    Here's my profile: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/vxkat/vehicross
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

In the future I'm going to go to 18s and add some add'l weight, as well. I'd be happy w/17.5 with all the future mods.

That's for the tip on fuelly.com. I keep track of mileage, maintenance, etc. w/an App on my Tablet called aCar. Exports the information to *.csv, and it's pretty comprehensive. It is a push that I can immediately enter information for the car or the VX while I'm at the gas station filling up, so I'm more inclined to use it
    Last edited by eternal21 : 05/29/2011 at 12:10 PM

I'm on fuelly too, you an see my average on my sig and see my profile by clicking on it.

I was regularly getting 18+ mpg with oversized tires and a spare in the rear, then i added my roof basket and im back down again, but if you try you can definitely squeeze some mpg out of the vx by driving carefully

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

It's mostly driving conditions. 0177 got about 15mpg when new, and by the time it made it to 35k miles, I was regularly getting 18-19 mpg average. My Nittos are oversized at 255/18, but really, the way they fit, it's the size that the car should have had stock.
    Now at almost 50,000 miles, I'm averaging about 19mpg..............**it is very flat and smooth here. Going at speeds greater than 6omph greatly affects milage, and at 75 or 80mph, I'm seeing 14, 13, and even less
    It's livable as long as I don't push

Yes. mine gave me 18.5mpg right now on the trip from Ontario to somerset, Ma.

I think 18, 19, 20 is just about right. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower. No matter what, they're still so damn much fun!!!

Try Lucas fuel additive, it works.

How are you guys getting such high numbers. Im lucky if I hit 13 MPG. I do only drive 14 miles a day and only 4 of that on the highway but thats a huge gap Its not like I put my foot down either and IM only running 32 inch tires

Good times. I averaged about 12-13 this weekend. Better than usual actually.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Try Lucas fuel additive, it works.
    Can one of you "fuelly" types test this product? I used it on my last fill up and it seemed to give me crazy good mileage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

I was around 15mpg when I first started tracking my mpg. Since then I started coasting more and slowed my average highway speed from 75 to 70. Less use of the brakes when safe or extremely annoying to those behind me and I was hitting 19-20 highway until I put my roof basket on, now it's like 17-18 highway. Then city has gone from 12-13 to 15-16 with more coasting, limiting bat out of hell takeoffs (I still have to do them occasionally, I'm not driving like a granny here!) and using idle to get me going before traffic actually starts moving

With summer blend gas my mileage is up about 10%. I don't know why it makes a difference, but I'm not complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by PittVXr View Post
    With summer blend gas my mileage is up about 10%. I don't know why it makes a difference, but I'm not complaining.
    That's odd, b/c ethanol actually decreases gas mileage by about 10%. Pure ethanol has an effective octane rating of about 105-106 octane, though, for those that want to run it Not recommended, however, if you are going to be using reg. gas, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by subject47 View Post
    How are you guys getting such high numbers. Im lucky if I hit 13 MPG. I do only drive 14 miles a day and only 4 of that on the highway but thats a huge gap Its not like I put my foot down either and IM only running 32 inch tires
    I dunno, to tell you the truth. The most I saw prior to my oil change was 320 miles/tank (16mpg). All I did was change the oil and make a decision to spend a lot more time following people instead of letting them follow me *lol*. Worked wonders. Don't get me wrong, I still get up on it every now and again, but I'm trying to be a better steward of my environment, whatever that means. I can't wait to see how much the mpg increase when I yank out the auto and put in the 5MT!

On the drive home from my initial purchase of my VX in December, I got 22mpg. I was following my dad in his work van dragging a trailer doing 62mph on cruise. I ran premium the whole way as well. If you don't mind driving slow, you can get OK gas mileage out of most vehicles

I average 13-14mpg in town (14.8 two tanks ago) depending on how I drive. My last tank I only got 11.7mpg, but I had my foot on the floor a lot