Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: clunk/tap feeling under my feet.

clunk/tap feeling under my feet.

This isn't a clicking you might hear from your CV joints when turning. While driving, 25 - 60 mph, I have right under might left foot, towards the left side of the driver floor board, a pretty consistant clunk/tapping from underneath. I look underthere, move things, hit em... nothing seems loose. I am thinking it's something internal, but not sure. I will be getting it checked out soon, but wanted to throw this out to see if anyone may have felt the same thing.

Used to get something similar to that on my rodeo when I turned. Ended up being the body mount bushings had sagged. After shimming them it went away. Dont know if the same thing would happen on a VX.
    --Dave

how 'bout a rock in the tread of lt frt tire?.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Luna X View Post
    how 'bout a rock in the tread of lt frt tire?.......
    I think of that everytime, but then I look and nothing is there. lol

Bookmarked

Sounds like you once hit a pair of rabbits while they were mating... It's just their ghosts, attached to the scene of the crime.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

I get a tap like that every now and then. Mine is like someone has a hammer and hits the floorboard from underneath. Not hard, just enough to let me know. It's not a constant thing. The first couple of times, I investigated, and found nothing either. So I quit looking.

Check the tranny mounts at the cross member - the bolts in mine backed out and the tranny was shifting left-right until they were replaced. It's hard to see that they're missing...note that this same problem has happened on other VXs...

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    Check the tranny mounts at the cross member - the bolts in mine backed out and the tranny was shifting left-right until they were replaced. It's hard to see that they're missing...note that this same problem has happened on other VXs...

-- John
    I was going to say the same thing but when mine were loose I could only hear/feel at very slow speed not 25-60...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Do any of you with the phantom noise have Trooper skid plates installed?

If so, check the right front where the front prop shaft intersects the front edge.
    This plate is very poorly designed & crushes easily, allowing contact with the cap screw heads.

Just a long shot...

I would check sway bar connections as well. At the a arms and on the frame mounts.

What about the "loose rear end" that Ldub had? Did that cause any popping when it shifted through its range of motion?

I find myself wondering how many miles you have and if the clunk/tap increases or is more prevalent as you press on the accelerator... hmmm, and with that in mind I wonder if your timing belt might be slipping as it approaches a breaking point. I'm just wondering.
    "going in when all others are running out"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TOKKA View Post
    I find myself wondering how many miles you have and if the clunk/tap increases or is more prevalent as you press on the accelerator... hmmm, and with that in mind I wonder if your timing belt might be slipping as it approaches a breaking point. I'm just wondering.

Almost 168k and it does not become more prevalent. Had tires rotated, transmission serviced and front end looked at again... no one can see anything and the clunking is still still there. Either it's nothing or my care will break. I'll find out one way or another.

That is exactly where one of the body mounts is located. There is a plastic plug on the inside just under the carpet and sound deadening foam stuff. Maybe the body mount is loose or maybe that plastic cap is severly damaged and blows in the wind. I can take a picture if you want. I still have my whole interior removed waiting on time to redo entire inside.
    Last edited by LittleBeast : 06/07/2011 at 10:03 PM

If it is any consolation I have exactly the same issue. Right under the drivers side floor boards. I haven't found where it comes from and have lived with it for 6 plus months. I think of it as a transmission line bumping the floor or a loose bracket some where. There is driveline clunk too but it is a seperate thing...this is different.