Thread: CV boot->ABS sensor->S/S brake lines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    See my post in the other thread. Boots are a under $50 fix for all 4 (for parts and do the labor yourself).

If mechanic charged you more than 2 hours labor he was doing it wrong. If I can do one side in an hour with my limited tools, there is no way they can't do better, that is unless they have no idea what they are doing and ruin a perfectly good ABS sensor. This is their fault for not knowing how to remove the parts. I had a mechanic tell me the same thing before I knew any better. The idiot mechanic on my VX put a gear puller on the rear axles and kept pulling until he crushed the ABS sensor in half instead of removing the 2 10mm bolts that hold the ABS sensor in place and then the rear axle just slides out easily (no puller necessary). Removing and/or touching the ABS sensor is not involved with CV Boot repair. I got my replacement ABS sensor from Lisa (VXCrazy), thanks again Lisa! I betcha she has the fronts still in case yours doesn't work out. Oh and by the way I drove with the ruined ABS sensor in place with no noticable difference in braking at all :-) In fact braking was better because ABS was not working. This is the only car that I think "they" somehow got the ABS wrong on :-)

Oh and I don't think I would personally fix the other CV until it breaks. Isuzu cv boots are the only ones superior to all others for our vehicles.
    Last edited by LittleBeast : 06/15/2011 at 11:03 PM

I need to check with 'Axle Guy'. He just finished rebuilding my half shafts. He said that the boots were hard to find but put some on that look at least as good as the OEM. I think he said that they were about $20 each.

May be a good alternative for those not lifted or those lifted with diff drops. Don't think I'd put them on though if the CV angles are bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I trashed both my ABS sensors when I rebuilt mine and they were WELDED in place for sure. OME ones from Merlin are in the 400.00 range but I found a nice one from a salvage yard in California and itr was in perfect shape. Check the vendor area, which is how I got their contact info. I am currently riding around without a passenger side sensor as I have been too lazy to round one up. I took my dremel too and slightly sanded the hole where the sensor passes through and applied a good supply of anti-seize to the sensor. I seriously doubt it will weld itself again.

And FYI... the retail price from Merin on the rear sensor(s) was 1600.00 so be very afraid when dealing with those puppies!