Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alleged ABS unit FIX described

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Makes more sense to get out on a back road and hammer the brakes once a month now.

PK
    Didn't Rowhard subscribe to that theory, and made sure he tested/used his monthly....but then his still failed too? John??
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

• I wrote to the ebay guy (resk123) that wrote that today to ask him some more questions...awaiting reply.

• I've also written to the ebay REBUILD guy 3 times now, with pics, sent these latest pics of the innerds,
      and referenced the Isuzu Workshop Manual, page 5A-5 which says this:

General Service Precautions
    The following are general precautions which should be
    observed when servicing and diagnosing the Anti-lock
    Brake System and/or other vehicle systems. Failure to
    observe these precautions may result in Anti-lock Brake
    System damage.

The EHCU and valve block connectors should never
    be connected or disconnected with the ignition “ON” .
     EHCU of the Anti-lock Brake System are not
    separately serviceable and must be replaced as
    assemblies. Do not disassemble any component
    which is designated as non-serviceable in this
    Section.

...here's his response today:

Hi Sue,
    We have several thousand of this same type abs Module, This Design is used on many other Makes and Model Automobiles, We will have no problem rebuilding this abs Module.
    Thank You
    Don

Sounds promising.....

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Didn't Rowhard subscribe to that theory, and made sure he tested/used his monthly....but then his still failed too? John??
    Yep, mine failed too, but heck, it doesn't work so trying this can't really hurt it. Just wondering about compatibility of the fluids
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Aren't both units sealed? The plastic electronics "brain+solenoid" component should not have any interaction with brake fluid. The brake fluid should be contained inside the valve box. if you look at the picture of the unit split into its two components, you don't notice any brake fluid at the interface of the two parts.
    Last edited by atilla_the_fun : 06/21/2011 at 09:14 AM

Suggestion

Needs More Cowbell
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Did anyone do this and tell us whether it worked?
    Scott

Not Yet

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinMA View Post
    Did anyone do this and tell us whether it worked?
    Of course we havent heard anyone say they tried it and it didnt work either

Oops, been busy, haven't had time to do it. Maybe this weekend...
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    Aren't both units sealed? The plastic electronics "brain+solenoid" component should not have any interaction with brake fluid. The brake fluid should be contained inside the valve box. if you look at the picture of the unit split into its two components, you don't notice any brake fluid at the interface of the two parts.
    Just wondering, has anyone actually confirmed the above is true? When the two sections are "easily" detached, there is no fluid leakage or anything else coming out. I suppose the past photos being referenced which could have been taken after pieces were cleaned up a bit(?).

Well my light just went on when I pulled into a parkiing lot. Can't tell, but brakes seem fine. Gonna check the fuse in daylight. I wonder how hard it would be to just replace the whole ABS system with another from some other vehicle. Heck they are even putting corvette ABS in hot rods now.

You would need a 4WD system - it has double the valving for the sensors.
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    You would need a 4WD system - it has double the valving for the sensors.
    Wha? We've got the el cheapo three channel unit (Bosch 5.4). Corvettes got 4 channel.

leonml, by whole unit if you mean the hydraulic part as well as the EBCM then it would be a lot of effort for probably no reason. The hydraulics hardly ever fail. It's a pain to bleed if you replace the whole thing compared to just replacing the electronics which is almost always the problem. Unfortunately you can't just get any Bosch 5.4 EBCM and use it on a VX. The electronic brake control modules are vehicle specific. Sure it might fit, but the logic flashed into a Dodge Durango's Bosch 5.4 ABS module will be different than what's in our VXes because the brakes, vehicle dynamics, etc are totally different.

To deal with most electronics module failures is quick, relatively cheap and easy though - it's just six torx screws, two nuts and two connectors. Five minutes to take it off, a few more to put it in a box and ship it off to the rebuilder, five minutes to put it back on the vehicle, done. Takes less than 20 minutes and less than a hundred dollars out of your life and you don't have to see that ABS light any more. And then you can pull a trailer without sweating about how bad you're going to jackknife when that bluehair in the Riviera pulls out in front of you!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    Wha?

To deal with most electronics module failures is quick, relatively cheap and easy though - it's just six torx screws, two nuts and two connectors. Five minutes to take it off, a few more to put it in a box and ship it off to the rebuilder, five minutes to put it back on the vehicle, done. Takes less than 20 minutes and less than a hundred dollars out of your life and you don't have to see that ABS light any more.
    Have you actually had an ABS unit for a VX rebuilt? As far as I know no one has yet. It has been discussed here many times and some say it can't be done, others say re-builders will do it but as far as I remember no one actually has had one done.

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    Have you actually had an ABS unit for a VX rebuilt? As far as I know no one has yet. It has been discussed here many times and some say it can't be done, others say re-builders will do it but as far as I remember no one actually has had one done.
    Yes - unfortunately my ABS control module had to be repaired. I think I jinxed it. Had been talking (OK it was more like bragging) to a friend about how the VX was 11 years old and had over 114K miles on it and not even a single light bulb had burned out yet. As usual, retribution was swift. The ABS light came on the next day just to prove ALL bulbs were still working.

So - the ABS control module was the first electrical item to go out on my VX, other than the CD changer, which suffered an untimely death at the hands of the kids. And the wimpy OEM speakers which got a little too much Boom, Boom, Pow one day - also a kid-related death. Hmmmm... maybe Sue should add a question to her "sellers list " regarding whether or not you haul children - they seem to significantly increase the level of entropy levied on a vehicle....

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    Yes - unfortunately my ABS control module had to be repaired. I think I jinxed it. Had been talking (OK it was more like bragging) to a friend about how the VX was 11 years old and had over 114K miles on it and not even a single light bulb had burned out yet. As usual, retribution was swift. The ABS light came on the next day just to prove ALL bulbs were still working.

So - the ABS control module was the first electrical item to go out on my VX, other than the CD changer, which suffered an untimely death at the hands of the kids. And the wimpy OEM speakers which got a little too much Boom, Boom, Pow one day - also a kid-related death. Hmmmm... maybe Sue should add a question to her "sellers list " regarding whether or not you haul children - they seem to significantly increase the level of entropy levied on a vehicle....
    It's great to know that they can be rebuilt and fixed at a reasonable cost.